Not wanting problems, but . . .

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jtbrown, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Looking at posts they always say to check for mites. So, couple of questions, have mostly new wood, new coop. Are mites likely to be there within 6 months? If one has it will they all? Meaning if I check the vent of ones who are friendly, is it likely if they are good they all are good?

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Vent? Mites are lice and as far as I know aren't found inside the vent. Mine never had them so I'm not an expert but I did put out DE after about the first year just as a precaution.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I thought I read to check around the vent, skin easy to see there, not so much inside. Just trying to get a feel, have never seen them, I use DE in the bedding to help keep dry, so maybe that will help.

We are finally getting runs and coops finished and getting eggs now, so I'm focusing on what is normal looking, makes it easier to spot abnormal in future. Seems like often, reports of something not right, posters say check for or tx worms and check for mites. Just curious Thanks.

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Oh I understand now. Sorry. Yes using DE in their litter will definitely help! That's all I use and I've never had a problem with them. [​IMG]
    Never had worms in my flock either. I'm no help at all am I? Well maybe someone else will stop in that knows more.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by