Not well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joe Pet, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Joe Pet

Joe Pet In the Brooder

Nov 24, 2017
    I have chick that has been well for a few days. She seems to not have much energy . Been trying to give her electrolytes in the water. Hasn't ate much. She been drinking but spits up water. Looks at food and wants to eat. Eats then spits it up and water as well.

2. Joe Pet

Joe Pet In the Brooder

Nov 24, 2017
    Sorry. That's a chick that has not been well.

3. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    1. What kind of food?

2. What is the brooder temp/lamp setup?

3. What kind of bedding do you have the chicks on?

My first thought is that maybe she might have a bowel impaction from accidentally ingesting some bedding material. Pine shavings and sand can be swallowed by chicks and this will cause them to die. If she is impacted in the bowel it would explain why she wants to eat but can't keep anything down.

4. Joe Pet

Joe Pet In the Brooder

Nov 24, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I have three other chicks and they're fine. I'll get right back with the answers.

5. Joe Pet

Joe Pet In the Brooder

Nov 24, 2017
    They get regular chicken feed. And every once and a while mealworms as a snack.

Currently there is no lamp setup.

In the coop there is pine shavings. On top of the coop there is pine shavings as well where they lay eggs. Every once and a while she sleeps up there by herself.

6. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    How old is this chick?? Chicks under a certain age should be getting chick spicific food because normal chicken food is simply to big for it. Younger chicks should also have a heat lamp for warmth in colder environments during this time of year at least until their ready to be out in the yard outside.

7. Joe Pet

Joe Pet In the Brooder

Nov 24, 2017
    I'm sorry that I referred to them as chicks. They're chickens. Bigger ones now. They get regular food. And then snacks. The weather here is warming up.

A few days ago we noticed she was slow and not much energy. They have been getting mealworms . She bit it then dropped it. Which was strange . But yes from the earlier post there is pine shavings.

8. Joe Pet

Joe Pet In the Brooder

Nov 24, 2017
    Were at the vet. They said her stomach is full of water. If we take her home she will die. They said they could do test and surgery but cant guarentee she will live.

Were going to miss her and will let her go peacefully at the vet .

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is your chicken? Does she lay eggs? When you said chick, it sounded like a baby chick. If she is a pullet or hen, how does her crop feel—empty and flat, full and puffy, or hard? What do her poops look like?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, sorry, I was posting as you wrote your last 2 posts. It sounds like she has ascites which can be from liver or heart failure, and is frequently seen in reproductive problems. Sorry for your loss, but euthanizing her is probably for the best, so that she doesn’t suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: