Not what I expected on day four :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pinky Macgyver, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi, this is my first attempt at incubating and I candled my eggs today, thinking there would be some veins or something as it's day four but there's only a dark area. [​IMG] is that just the yolk? Does that mean the eggs aren't developing? :( :(

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't even bother candling eggs until after 7 days. I just have too much trouble seeing anything until then, but by then I can usually tell what's going on. Usually, but I don't toss any eggs until 14 days just to be sure. I have had surprises.

I advise patience.

Good luck!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X2 Candle again on day 7 and if there are any clears, candle them again on day 10 to make sure. Some are slow to show development.

4. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks. I'm so stressed about/for them. I really hope I haven't killed them. But you're right, I'm probably worrying too early.

5. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    x3

6. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    I posted this on my Facebook and someone instantly replied with "not fertile. There would be an air bubble"

7. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    The air bubble they are refering to is the air sac. All eggs have the air sac fertile or not fertile. The chicks need that air sac. As you incubate you will notice the air sac get bigger that is what its suppose to do. When the chick hatches it goes thru the air sac to get its first breath and thats where it pips at. You will find this air sac (air bubble) on the fat side of the egg. Im sure you have cooked hard boiled eggs before right? When you peel the egg shell off you notice at one end of the egg it has a dip in the egg. That is where the air sac was. Hope this helps you out. Any more questions or concerns feel free to ask. I am incubating 25 egg right now. I am on day 7.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    :) Thankyou so much, that is a big help. I just didn't put two and two together that all eggs would have the air sac. Phew :)

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] FB. Here is a great article on incubating eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it's on Facebook it has to be true.

Where did you hear that?

On Facebook.

When incubating patience is usually your friend. Don't be too quick to do anything drastic unless an egg starts to smell like it has that "rotten egg" smell or starts to weep moisture. Then it is time to get that egg out of your house. Gently get it out. This really does not happen often so don't freak about it, but it does on rare occasion happen. It's the only real risk with incubation I can think of.

Where did you hear this? On the internet.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by