NOT what I wanted to open the door to

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by featherfooted, Oct 15, 2012.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I was in the great room when I heard a crash on the deck out the backdoor and started to hear a high pitched squill. I opened the backdoor thinking one of the dogs was hurt and found this.
    [​IMG]

It had fallen out of the big tree next to the deck and it was the squirrel making the noise. We got the dogs in the house real quick. The snake is a Large rat snake about 5' long. It tried to eat it's meal but the squirrel was too big. It left it on the deck and went back to the woods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    That must have been quite a surprise. Nat-Geo in your own back yard. Great pictures.

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yipes! Great pics!

4. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    This happen just 4' from the backdoor. My son and I stood and watched through the storm door.

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek [​IMG]

6. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    I opened the coop one day and found one of my chickens was dead. Come to find out it was a weasel that got the eggs she was sitting on and when she tried to protect them he then got her. What is sad is that weasels only drink the blood of the chicken and then leave the body laying. Havent seen it again tho.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Dumb critter was probably giving that snake a hard time and the snake got tired of it.
    Great photos thanks for sharing [​IMG]

8. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    people post here all the time, snakes willn't waste energy killing something to big to eat!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by