Not what I was expecting

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ranger Daryl, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Ranger Daryl

Ranger Daryl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    I bought this trio from a NPIP breeder who assured me that they were Black Copper Marans. They came from chocolate colored eggs and they looked just like the pictures of other BCM chicks on the web. Now that they are 5 weeks old and have began feathering out. I have come to the conclusion that they are not pure BCMs. Any ideas what I have. I was thinking BCMxcuckoo marans. They have feathered shanks, black legs and their primary flight feathers and leg feathers are black. I will try to post pictures but they are on my cell phone. I'm just a little disappointed that they are not solid black now. I'm sure they will still be nice chickens.

2. Ranger Daryl

Dec 4, 2013
    I am pretty positive that the first chick is a rooster. Is there any possibility of breeding these guys for solid colors. Will they outgrow these markings or should I just search for better chick lines?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'd be pretty unhappy, too! I've seen black with a fair amount of white as a chick, but those really look partridge-ish. Not cuckoo, though, as they're not barred/cuckoo. I think I've seen Marans folks talk about getting wheaton birds from black lines, not sure about this, though.

I can't help you much, but just wanted to say if you don't get a good response here, try a Marans thread in the "Breeds, Genetics and Showing" section. Folks who do a specific breed don't always wander to this section, and they may have better info for you.

edit--have you sent pics to the seller? I would do so and see what their explanation is.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. Ranger Daryl

Dec 4, 2013
    No I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet. I am sure I will see her at the farmers market this weekend. She is there every weekend.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I have seen this twice with my parents BCMs, neither one was off of eggs that they had hatched but ones that friends had hatched and told us about. One died shortly after hatching and the other was 2 years ago (if I remember right) and I don't remember how it looked at what ages.

6. Ranger Daryl

Dec 4, 2013
    The chicks are starting to change colors so maybe all is not lost. I'm noticing mossy feathers all over the box and more shiny black feathers growing in their place. I spoke to the seller and she assured me that they will pick up darker colors after they are 8 or 9 weeks old. She showed me the parents and some of the eggs the hen laid this week.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd love to see pics as they change.

I just don't see you getting black birds from those. They're going to feather in a partridge-ish or wheaton pattern. Black chicks start out black, they don't change colors.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

10. Ranger Daryl

Dec 4, 2013
    Ok, I will try to post pictures this evening but I'm pretty certain the rooster is a birchen marans. All the areas that should be copper are silver including his ear feathers. The mossy ness is almost gone and he is getting solid blue/grey feathers in his body. There is a little bit of gold leakage on his wings though. The hen is still just a mossy bird I've accepted that she always will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by