Not Wry Neck, What is it? Urgent!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CascadiaRiver, Mar 16, 2016.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    My mom showed her to me today and out little lady Peanut seems to be in pretty bad shape to where I am concerned she may perish. We're bringing her inside in mere minutes to separate her from the flock to try to get her to eat and drink ( I dont know if she has been?) She seems puffed up and a bit like shes molting.

You can SEE she doesn't feel good. All hunched up and slow. Shes a runner and loves to playfully chase me around the yard with the others and now she wanders slowly.

No, her neck isn't Twisted.
    No, her neck isn't Backwards or Falling. (Yet???)
    No, she has never had any issues beforehand.

What worries me the most is that she is a kinda mix breed from Wilco and has a pretty lengthy neck. and it almost looks and feels like this (http://www.paulsteadphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Chicken-Skeleton.jpg) And i know that natural but its like protruding outwards more? Its poking out more than usual and I have no idea how to describe it i am so sorry!! I am just freaking out, shes a year and a half old Plymouth rock bantam hen of feedstore quality.

Has anyone had anything similar? is it a disease? Can adult birds get mareks or something and should I be worried for the rest of my birds? Please help sooth a worried chicken mommy...

2. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Could mold cause this? We've had issues with some mold in the coop in the past but never had any side effects in the birds!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture or video of what you are seeing? How old is she? Is she laying eggs? What do her droppings look like? Placing her in a crate overnight with some paper towel is a food way to look at her droppings. You can also keep track of how much she is eating and drinking.

4. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Working on images now, Shes a few months after a year old, shes laying eggs, and her poops seemed fine when I saw them, I don't know if my mom saw anything different. Shes in a crate right now dozing off to sleep and hopefully I can "document" her droppings a little later.

5. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Shes barely pooping, its green 'newborn chick' poops, looked down her throat and didn't see anything, crop seems to be empty and I dont think there is a egg problem, shes lethatgic and lays there with her eyes closed, hasn't laid and egg in a few days, slow movements.

6. aworldintime

aworldintime Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Have you got any idea what it was? Found my roo the same way today. Wondered if it was wry neck.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of your rooster?
    Give us some more information:
    How old is he?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    How is he acting - any lethargy, is his neck crooked, how does his crop feel, can he move/walk, etc., ect.?
    Anything happen, did he fall or have some type of injury?
    Is he eating/drinking/pooping - what does the poop look like?
    Any symptoms/actions you can tell us about will be helpful.

8. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    I dont have a pic of him. Sadly we had to put him down. He was in bad shape. Not eating. Hardly wanting to move. His poop was green. I dont know if he fell at all. His feed is the standard growers feed and scratch as a treat some times. Crop was empty. His neck wasnt crooked. Its hard to explaine.but I thought his crop was the issue. Only instead of being down lower it looked to be right up under his beak. Upon inspection it was his neck. It was stuck in a S shape. Protruding out and up high. It felt all intact nothing sticking out. Its nothing anyone has seen before from those I have asked.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

Have you thought about looking into Marek's disease. Some of the symptoms you describe are similar. If you have access to a vet or Agricultural lab sometimes a necropsy can give you answers.

10. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Yes we did. The guy we got him from said it may be that. Even with his vaccination he said it can happen. I cant do a necropsy now as he has all ready been culled. But I do wonder if it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by