Not your average butcher'in bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by L&Schickens, Aug 30, 2010.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I was given a bunch of Rhode Island Red bantam roosters the other day. They are not show quality and most were missing a lot of feathers. So I thought about keeping them until their feathers grew back and try and sell them. Well, I decided the amount of feed I would have in them by the time they grew their feathers back would not equal or exceed the money and time I had into them, so we ate them. I just learned how to butcher chickens 2 years ago here on this forum and I still have not done too many chickens since then, but today we dressed out 8 little bantam roosters. I cooked 4 of them and that is what Loren (my 7 y/o son) and I had for lunch. They were quite good actually.
    Also, Loren wanted to try his hand at chopping off a head for himself. It took him a few tries, but he did it. I was so proud of him!! He enjoyed eating the little guy he decapitated too.

[​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I wish I knew someone that would do that for me. I could kill the chicken, no problem; putting it in boiling water to pluck the feathers is a different story!
    Good job, though. Nothing like having a meal that was 'home grown.'

3. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I love it!! That fine young man has learned a very valuable life lesson... Good job Loren! Enjoy the works of your hands my buddy! [​IMG]

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks! I actually did not pluck them, I just cut the tail off and peeled the skin and feathers right off with it. It is a lot easier then plucking IMO. [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    good job Loren! great avatar pic too!

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Thank you! That is Loren's first try at showmanship. He was 5 and he has his 7 y/o Serama rooster, Sarge. They are a great team.[​IMG]

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it would make a great poster for a county fair! where are you in WA?

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    We are on the Western side 20 minutes south of Olympia. [​IMG]

9. crowhard

crowhard New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    irvington,alabama
    wish i had a little helper, my girls have other interest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by