Not your traditional coop...for sure!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shelleyb1969, Aug 2, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Well, here it is...my banty coop...actually coopS! This coop is DEFINITELY not your traditional type. This coop is small, just like the banties. Since we're starting this adventure so late in the year, we're only going to have a few banties over the winter months. Next spring, if needed, I will begin an expansion project on this coop. But for now...
    One coop is what I call a feeding coop. That is where my feeder and waterer will be this winter. It has 2 roosts. The other coop is the nesting coop. It has 8 removeable nest boxes and 3 roosts.
    Now to the "neat" part. The two units are connected together with drain tile, which next spring I will replace with sturdier wood/wire walkways. As seen in the pic, I also have a wire cage connected to the nesting coop. I'm currently working on building a 6' x 4' x 4' moveable run which will replace this cage. I do have a few modifications that I need to do as I learn from my chickies what works and what doesn't. But I think my banty babies will like this home, and definitely won't get bored! Anyone with any ideas, please feel free to share them.

Michelle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    awesome digs...is there typical chicken digs anyway! so many ingenious ideas and using what works for you is great. it looks pretty and functional.

we have a small 'village' going too. love it!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Beautiful job! Your banties should love it. They'll really love it once you get your movable run done and they can be on the ground. Chickens so love to scratch around in the dirt.

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Thanks for all the nice feedback everyone. I'm heading outside right now to work on that run. I've become chicken obsessed...I really need help! And I don't even have my chickies yet! Anyone know where I can get some silkie eggs right now? [​IMG]

5. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    cute!! What is drain tile?

6. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Hi Michelle,

Cute coops. Could you post another picture of the coops straight on so we can see the drain tile connector? Thx

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You should enclose the area under that one - the one higher, and have a little run under that side.
    Do you NEED 8 nest boxes? How many chickens are you going to put in there? when they are little they don't need the nests, I'd leave them out for the first few months.

Cute!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    very nice I too would like to see the drain tile I was thinking that would be a good idea to connect another dog run to my present 2 dog runs for the banties.

9. Rosebud75

Rosebud75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Vt
    It's so cute! It makes me think of those hamster habitrails...

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    How large is the drain tile (width, not length)? I can see it, but since the coop is smaller, I can't tell from the pics how to estimate its size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by