Note, the Brinseas need recalibration after 2 years

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Charli Jo, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Charli Jo

Charli Jo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    raleigh
    I hadn't used mine much just 2 hatches but temp ran quite high..I was able to calibrate it with the thermometer that came with the manual brinsea..

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Are you asking a question?? I got a question---how did you determine the temp was to high--by another thermometer? Did the eggs hatch on time/ late or early??

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I always run mine for a couple of days before use to see how the calibration is. It's always worth while checking prior to any use. Also I don't necessarily believe the thermometer reading - always double check with another thermometer placed inside the housing. [​IMG]

4. Charli Jo

Charli Jo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    raleigh
    I had legbars and some prior hatch that was hatching a little early. I' haven't been an avid hatcher til more recently and didn't think that much of it.
    But more into it now and got an extra Brinsea but just a manual one that came with a thermometer. This thermomter calibrated perfect with the new brinsea.
    so put it in the older one and wow , it was 1.5 degree F high. The manual states that you are expected to 'send it back for calibration after 2 years' ! But you can do it yourself.
    It was much harder than expected:

To calibrate. I put thermoter in same area as the new brinsea -not easy to do.. then had to average temps from recently heated up to cooling down times ..then look very very precisely at the thermometer and repeat this a few times..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by