Notes on Frostbite from Storey's Guide

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A number of us are concerned about this, so here are some excerpts of interest.

Watch for: limping, swollen or red feet hot to the touch, tissue sloughing off

risks associated with frostbite include gangrene

If feet frozen to ground, pour warm water (90F to 105F NO HOTTER - emphasis mine) over feet until they are freed

Rapidly warm the feet in water bath that is 105 to 108F for 15 to 20 minutes, giving lukewarm water to drink

Do not rub frostbitten areas

Severe damage will need to be treated like an open wound, and penicillin or Terramycin may be needed to reduce chance of infection

If no large water body available, enclose ducks in a yard or shed with a thick layer of bedding and wind protection if below 20F

2 people like this.
  2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] You know i always forget about that book, Amiga, great idea to post this. With these weather extremes it's good info to have. Although we are a bit better today(-12C) but the ducks wanted nothing to do with outside today. Poor guys, i think they have been scared off by those awful temps we had this week.

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, Going Quakers, I had misplaced my copy till recently. I missed it from time to time. Most of the common stuff I have been able to remember just from looking it up so often. But a few things I could recall bits of, but not everything.

The runners and buffs helped me today with room service. A little more is needed, since they are in their "room" quite a bit the last few days. I find it really pleasant to have their company. When I rustle through the bedding to remove the garden goodies, they are right there with me, hoping some worms will pop up, I think.

They attentively observe the removal of damp areas around the watering stations. They discuss it all with one another. They even followed me outside (and rapidly back in) when I carried damp sawdust to the garden path (wonderful path material . . . breaks down, encourages beneficial fungi, marks the paths).

We enjoyed some dried mealworm treats this morning.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My copy is in e-book format but my brain seems to fuzz and i forget it's there. That sounds so sweet with your ducks, mine were scattering, worried i wanted them outside lol My chickens OTOH were observing out the door while i cleaned to see why they haven't been out all week... then of coarse wanted food! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    This made me cringe... [​IMG] I hope none of us run into this.

I did get a little nervous yesterday morning. Our ducks use the deep bedding in their house, but they mostly stay outside in their pen. When I entered their pen yesterday, I saw two different tufts of feathers/down frozen to the ground... as in, two ducks were laying on the ground and FROZE TO IT. Their feathers/down must have pulled out of them when they stood up. I didn't know what to do; I just couldn't believe it. I hope they weren't stuck to the ground long... or too hurt when they stood up... [​IMG]

I'm thinking of sending all of them to a hotel until this frigid weather is done torturing us. [​IMG]

6. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Valntyn, I witnessed one of my Muscovy girls do that. She was sleeping on the concrete floor inside our shop garage next to the rug she normally sleeps on. When I went in to feed one morning, she went to stand up and her poop had frozen to her feathers and floor. She had to use wings to free herself, tearing off a good amount of feathers on her butt. I felt bad, but she acted like it was no biggie. However, I noticed that she is careful to only sleep on the rug since then. Guess she learned not to make that mistake again.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh, dear. That would be alarming! I had my flock out today... it was ok out... i checked but they were preening and generally content, were still frozen solid, my barn is a mess i cannot clean it, everything is frozen... i want this cold to take a hike but realistically it's only Jan, Feb here can be the worst month of all... were set to do a warm up over the next few days so i'll at least get the barn cleaned to my usual standards.

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    The same here Going Quakers. I just hope they are right about the warm up. A couple of days and I can have everyone back to normal! One good thing, if its frozen, it shouldn't be causing any harm, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

9. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I have 21 Aylesbury cross ducks here in Lincolnshire UK. They have a variety of small houses and pens in the garden. They are bedded on straw, and the hay that the horses turn their noses up at, but I also put a thick layer of straw to completely cover the ground in their pens. I think this is beneficial in winter as it keeps them warmer when outside. It is also easy to change the straw when their little houses are cleaned, so that they stay in good condition. That and extra food, seems to keep them well throughout winter and they are just coming back into lay now.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, newfoundland, I appreciate hearing about management styles that work in various conditions with different breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by