1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Nothing But Feathers...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by scrambledmess, Jul 18, 2010.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I lost one of my hens last night. She was being horribly abused by the other chickens. They weren't letting her eat at all. when I picked her up last night, she was almost a skeleton. I felt so guilty for not catching it sooner. It was almost dust, so I really didn't have any place to put her. The chickens were being particularly brutal to her. I was afraid they may just kill her last night. So I pulled her from the pen and put her in with the goats. I was going to make something better for her today.

Well the goat pen is well just a goat pen. She got out of it some time in the night and this morning all I found was feathers. I feel even worse now. All I can say is lesson learned. At least she got a full meal before she died [​IMG]

I am guessing it was an owl. My other girls are in a coop at night. Do I have to worry that this owl will be going into the building hunting? Could the predator have been something else?

TIA

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing 9 Years

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It's not likely to be an owl. Most likely a fox. Coons don't carry prey off, at least the one who got in my coop didn't.

Sorry for your loss

Rancher

3. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Will a fox try to get into a coop? My goats are pygmies. A fox is still too small to bother them, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: