Nothing Goes to Waste

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fowled-out, Nov 7, 2010.

1. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    When I slaughter my chickens, practically I try to use every single bit of it to make good use of it. Here is a list of what I do with my chickens.

1. Feathers-they are sent to my friends wife, she grinds them up, mixes them with cow manure and other goodies to make planting pots. She gives my wife a few to plant her herbs.
    2. Chicken blood-My favorite! STINK BAIT! I use the chicken blood with a special homemade concoction and make some real nice stink bait for catfishing. I give a few tubs to friends, they swear by this bait.
    3. Guts-Goes to the compost
    4. Chicken Feet-I use it for dimsum. I also boil it with the bones to make a richer broth.
    5. Bones-Use to make broth, after I make the broth, I grind up the bone to make bone meal and feed it to the dogs.
    6. Head and comb-goes to make broth too, comb is real good eating too!

I don't like to call my birds dual-purpose, but "multi-purpose."

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:now I see why. They can be like pigs are practically. What do you grind the bones with? May have to give that a try.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    make black pudding of the blood.... over here anything we don't use the dogs can have them raw... guts, bones, head, feet....

4. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    can you hear me now? :

Quote:now I see why. They can be like pigs are practically. What do you grind the bones with? May have to give that a try.

I grind it with a hand cranked grinder, after 4 hours of simmering the bones are real soft.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by