nothing happening at day 19. Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I know I sound like a neurotic first time mom, but please somebody reassure me! Its day 19, I have 5 that were alive at lockdown. But today there still isnt any rocking, pips or anything. They are sitting in an egg carton, air-cell side up. Ive only incubated once before, and by nighttime on the 18th day, they were starting to pip. Those were eggs from my friend, the ones that are due to hatch this weekend are shipped silkies and Im so worried they wont make it [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Don't worry. Often times you will never see rocking or hear peeping until they hatch, which should be day 21.

Calm down now. Relax. It will all be okay!

Best wishes for a great hatch! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, mine didn't start pipping until day late 20. And in between pips it looked like the other eggs weren't going to do a thing . . . then they surprised me!

It's early times yet . . . try not to fret!

4. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    okay I will try to relax....... Thank you [​IMG]

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Don't worry! Only start panicking on day 23 or so if still nothing is happening! Sometimes they're just quiet little babies right up until hatch and don't do anything at all until they start pipping, so relax and try to find something to pass the time. (And don't peek in the incubator too much if you can help it, it makes everything go slowly!) I know how nerve-wracking it is, but if things have been going fine up until this point, chances are things will continue to be just fine and will happen at their own natural pace.

Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by