1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nothing is happening!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Corey NC, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am going out of my mind!

My Seramas are on day 19 and I've perposly kept the temps at 100 degrees the whole incbation time so they'll hatch out on day 19. Well today is day 19 and nothing is happening!! I haven't heard anything at all and I can't see any movement.

I'm worried that they'll have problems and I'll pip myself and I'll be to late.

The temps are right at 100.2 now and humidity is sticking to 70%. Why won't they hatch!!!

I am just gonna be devestated if none of them hatch....

[​IMG]

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Some chicks take longer than others to hatch. so far my hatch rate is 100% (I only put 1 fertile egg in the incubator). Hopefully you'll have a great hatch too.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most chickens hatch at 21 days.

What kind of incubator? Still air or forced fan? Humidity may be a little high for those little buggers...I probably would have went for 65, but hang in there. I'm sure they'll be fine. Fingers are crossed for you to get a good hatch. [​IMG]

Jody

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    My bator is an Octagon 20, I'll try and drop the humidity. Do you think the humidity was too high and I drowned them?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't know anything about an Octagon 20, so can't help you there. I would not panic over 70 for humidity...my concern would be more if the humidity gauge is accurate. I would hang in there and let things take their natural course, altho I realize how hard that can be.

Jody

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    If you humidity was at 70 the whole incubation process that could drown them but if you just bumped them up to hatch I think it would be alright.

Henry

7. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Dont worry. Hopefully they will do something soon. I have a Octagon 40 and I keep my humdity between 65-70%. So Im sure yours are fine. [​IMG]

8. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Take a deep breath and step-away-from-the-eggs....... [​IMG]
    Is your incubator still air or forced air? 100 is what we use in the still air, and they take the normal amount of time to hatch.
    I know it's easier said than done, but give them time. 19 is still two days short of the 21 day average. Some may even take a day or so more.....
    Yeah, talk about torture.....
    Don't worry none about them drowning, but make sure your humidity is as close as possible to requiremnts of your incubator. Too little and the chick may dry out and stick, too much humidty may cause the chick to actually swell, which makes hatching even harder on it since it's working within a rather limited spaceto begin with.
    Hopefully, in th next day or two you'll be hearing someone in there singing, and seeing wigglings going on when you go to investigate that noise......

9. God luck!
    I'll be waiting to hear the good news [​IMG]

Lisa

10. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

corey,

just to make you feel better, if the eggs don't hatch, let me know and i will send you several more on my dime,

i just want to see you hatch, but you have 16 fertile eggs so unless something really messed up you will have chicks.

just a note mine take 20 days and you also have to look at the time of day the eggs were set. morning/night....

let me know, we will get you a herd of serama's--by gosh.....

frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by