Nothing like finally knowing your boy (cockerel) became a man (daddy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lildinkem, Apr 29, 2009.

1. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi fellow feathered fans, today was the day, finally, I candled some of my Buff Orpington eggs and they were fertile. I have a 7 month ole cockerel, who has been missing the mark since he made his appearance. He would try the quiet sneaky approach while the pullet is eating and he'd TRY to jump on only to slip off and decide eating is more pleasureable. LOL I had hoped he slip in the right spot for a few weeks. Up till the 25th none were fertile. And the eggs I just put in on the 25th 3 out of 4 are fertile. Because of his previous lack of style I changed his name from Dimetrius to Dim. Maybe that is all it took. LOL He is now DIM forever as long as the eggs keep coming in fertile. LOLOLOL

2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    ...eating was more pleasurable. [​IMG] That's funny.

yay for chickies!

3. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The boy does not like to miss any opportunities.[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You really have to feel sorry for the boys that don't get it right from the start. My boy Thor tried mating from the side for the longest time. I even sent my SO out to have a heart to heart with him. But last time time I talked to another BYC member that I gave some eggs to, some of Thor's children are right now hatching! [​IMG]

5. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It was more then a one to one with Dim and I last nite. It was me holding down a pullet begging him to come over. He'd turn his head and look at me like, " we'll are you doing her? " LOL As I held one pullet down one of her sis's come over and attacks me. LOL I begged for some help from Dim, but the big dummy went back to eating. LOL Little did I know he got it right already 2 days before. I just did have to double check my eggs and making sure I did see a fertile egg. And not wishful thinking, hoping LOLOL
    I have no trouble with my other young birds. Dim is just slow to mature. Last week was his first attempt to crow. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by