Nothing like home-grown chicken!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PotterWatch, Jun 14, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know everyone here already gets it, but there is nothing like fresh home-grown chicken. Every time we eat one of our own birds, I am reminded just how good it is! Dinner tonight was especially good since it was accompanied by locally grown fingerling potatoes and asparagus. What is your favorite way to prepare your chicken. So far, my favorite is roasted with herb-butter and stuffed with fresh herbs.

[​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Beautiful even skin crispiness! How do you get it that way? What's yer roasting pan like?

I appreciate seeing the cooked bird photos in the meatie section. It does indeed help remind everyone about the "end product."

3. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Super, or (supper) [​IMG]

I hope to have that view in about 5 weeks, looks great.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    A little game rooster we ate last week, just enough for two. I really like to spatchcock whole birds.

[​IMG]

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Oh my, those pictures make me hungry! Nothing better than a good, roasted bird!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Just a basic roasting pan. I didn't have one for years and recently my Mom gave me an extra one that she had. It doesn't have a rack, so I use foil to keep the bird off the bottom of the pan. That bird was done by chopping some herbs up finely and mixing them with some softened butter (real butter of course!). Then spreading the butter under the skin and on the outside and stuffing the cavity with more herbs. It was basted with more herb butter every half hour until it was done (total time about 1.5hrs). Fantastic chicken!

7. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That looks good! Do you cook on the stovetop and then move it to the oven to finish?

8. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    i have never really liked eatting chicken all of my adult life...the year i raised my first butchering birds i could not believe the difference in taste from store bought or even restraunt chicken... even my children told me ..wow how good it was...becuz of time schedual i generally just put washed whole chicken in roaster in oven...small amt of water bottom of pan..hardly any spice is used..& slow cook few hrs..... also will fry....i dont really like it grilled..husband has a attitute..brown fast & eat...seems to be a bit tougher ,rubberely texture on grill.

9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I have found that all food that I "make" myself tastes better than any other. Chickens, garden produce, game. To some extent I think it really is better but I also think there is a pychological factor involved.

PotterWatch: the bird above was cooked start to finish in the oven, I just like using those saute pans for oven use.

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I've been lurking in this section for ages trying to decide whether or not I want to try my hand at raising a few meaties. Threads like this one keep tipping me further in the "yes" direction! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by