Nothing worse than having a lonely only.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChooksChick, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I hatched a pair of Quechuas on Saturday, and am heartily regretting having only set 3 eggs. I took them outside and had one disappear during the day. No clues at all what happened, but there's a new cat in the 'hood, so chances are that my laxity on the door being open on the banty shanty was the cause.

At any rate, until Monday, I have a lonely only who is just SOOOOOO busy and needy. I'm just being driven batty.

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh thats so sad. I am so sorry. [​IMG] That happend to my friend but it was with her chicken.

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    That is too bad! I had the same thought when I placed some "questionable" eggs in the incubator. They had been getting cold so just to be sure I put in the 8 and then added 4 good ones from my mixed flock. Good luck with your egg!

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry about your loss [​IMG]
    What did you hatch?
    I looked it up and here is what i found so i am a bit confused [​IMG]
    Quechua is the name of a people of the central Andes of South America and their languages
    So did you hatch out people from eggs?[​IMG]
    JK

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That stinks! A good reminder to keep the hatching numbers high.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Ha! You can do a search on here: it's a breed that was from SA and a few of us have them around here. They are a bit like a light bodied Ameraucana, and have variable features. The Ameraucana supposedly CAME from this type of bird and was distilled into a refined set of characteristics.

Mine are winter-faced, with VERY dark skin and legs, generally a blue and buff combination, with heterozygous pea combs or some variation thereof.

She'll settle down once friends hatch...I usually have 6 or 7 incubators going, but have been trying o be good. [​IMG]

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Haha it will be more tame when its full grown. watch some tv with it [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:Ha! You can do a search on here: it's a breed that was from SA and a few of us have them around here. They are a bit like a light bodied Ameraucana, and have variable features. The Ameraucana supposedly CAME from this type of bird and was distilled into a refined set of characteristics.

Mine are winter-faced, with VERY dark skin and legs, generally a blue and buff combination, with heterozygous pea combs or some variation thereof.

She'll settle down once friends hatch...I usually have 6 or 7 incubators going, but have been trying o be good. [​IMG]

Thanks for the info i figured it musta been something rare or new.

Do you have any photos of them as chicks and then grown up? would love to see them [​IMG]

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:X 2 [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quechua are the origin of today's Easter Egger, basically.

[​IMG] I know how ya feel. I've got a Blue Partridge Brahma pullet out there who was my lonely only for about a week when she was the only one who hatched out of a batch of 8 eggs. . . . [​IMG] That was one NEEDY noisy attention-seeking mommy deprived sleep-stealing chick! [​IMG] It was sooo friendly and I was basically mommy, but, it got quite annoying after a while because if I ever left it be to go do something, it would scream its brains out, and if I ever walk by it always knows, and goes running/flying for any exit to get to me. Honestly typing about it, I miss it, but I still remember that after a while that chick wouldn't let me do anything without it nestled into me.

She's a big girl now. Not laying yet but she's probably more than 7 lbs in weight.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by