Nothing worse than having a lonely only.

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I hatched a pair of Quechuas on Saturday, and am heartily regretting having only set 3 eggs. I took them outside and had one disappear during the day. No clues at all what happened, but there's a new cat in the 'hood, so chances are that my laxity on the door being open on the banty shanty was the cause.

At any rate, until Monday, I have a lonely only who is just SOOOOOO busy and needy. I'm just being driven batty.

barnie.gif

That is too bad! I had the same thought when I placed some "questionable" eggs in the incubator. They had been getting cold so just to be sure I put in the 8 and then added 4 good ones from my mixed flock. Good luck with your egg!

Sorry about your loss
hugs.gif

What did you hatch?
I looked it up and here is what i found so i am a bit confused
hu.gif

Quechua is the name of a people of the central Andes of South America and their languages
So did you hatch out people from eggs?
lau.gif

JK

Quote:
Ha! You can do a search on here: it's a breed that was from SA and a few of us have them around here. They are a bit like a light bodied Ameraucana, and have variable features. The Ameraucana supposedly CAME from this type of bird and was distilled into a refined set of characteristics.

Mine are winter-faced, with VERY dark skin and legs, generally a blue and buff combination, with heterozygous pea combs or some variation thereof.

She'll settle down once friends hatch...I usually have 6 or 7 incubators going, but have been trying o be good.
hide.gif

Quote:
Ha! You can do a search on here: it's a breed that was from SA and a few of us have them around here. They are a bit like a light bodied Ameraucana, and have variable features. The Ameraucana supposedly CAME from this type of bird and was distilled into a refined set of characteristics.

Mine are winter-faced, with VERY dark skin and legs, generally a blue and buff combination, with heterozygous pea combs or some variation thereof.

She'll settle down once friends hatch...I usually have 6 or 7 incubators going, but have been trying o be good.
hide.gif

Thanks for the info i figured it musta been something rare or new.

Do you have any photos of them as chicks and then grown up? would love to see them
big_smile.png

Quechua are the origin of today's Easter Egger, basically.

hugs.gif
I know how ya feel. I've got a Blue Partridge Brahma pullet out there who was my lonely only for about a week when she was the only one who hatched out of a batch of 8 eggs. . . .
th.gif
That was one NEEDY noisy attention-seeking mommy deprived sleep-stealing chick!
lol.png
It was sooo friendly and I was basically mommy, but, it got quite annoying after a while because if I ever left it be to go do something, it would scream its brains out, and if I ever walk by it always knows, and goes running/flying for any exit to get to me. Honestly typing about it, I miss it, but I still remember that after a while that chick wouldn't let me do anything without it nestled into me.

She's a big girl now. Not laying yet but she's probably more than 7 lbs in weight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom