1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nothing yet. Day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyhaschicks, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Yah, yah, yah I know it can still happen. The thing that is making me nervous is that I heard a peep yesterday morning and have heard nothing since. No pips or any progress. My temp has gotten down to between 99.5 degrees and 100 degrees in a still air bator. Should it have been higher? I know I have all chicks in the eggs because I candled them. If these don't hatch I am thinking about giving up hatching chicks. [​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    That temp isn't very low, not enough to harm your chicks, possibly low enough to delay a little. What's your humidiy? And yes, it can still happen [​IMG]

Krista

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    my first hatch in a still air i kept about the same as you 99.5-100. well all the chicks were a day late (day 22) since then i have kept my temp at 101 - 104 and hum at 35-40 day 1-18 and then up it to 60-65. this has worked very very well for me, my last hatch was 100% dont give up !!!!!! Keep us updated, I bet by tommrow at this time you will have little chickys !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My humidity since day 19 when I increased it is 60%. Sometimes it drops 2/10ths of a degree for a short time. My humidity prior to this has been 45 to 50% depending on the weather.
    I guess I am just overly worried since my last hatch was a dive. I had put 7 eggs in and none hatched. These eggs were from Washington state and I am in Maine. Probably the shipping did them in. But still to get nothing is kinda depressing kwiim? I broke all those eggs open and there was nothing in them at all so at least I didn't kill them. [​IMG]
    I have my fingers crossed!

eta- what about the guy that peeped on day 21 which was yesterday morning? Do you think he is a dead?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    the one you heard peeping did he/she pip/break the shell yet ? also what breed of chicks are you hatching ?

You might try to up the hum to 65

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I am hatching Milles and buff cochins. The chick who I heard didn't even pip at all. I don't even know which egg she is in.
    I thought about upping the humidity but I wasn't sure if I should.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I had some that were peeping yesterday but not pipped. They are pipped today and one of them hatched completely.

I have also had them peep but never pip and it is veryyyy distressing!

Just take a deep breath and [​IMG]

Then if that doesn't work do this [​IMG]

:aww

Good Luck!

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I am hatching Milles and buff cochins. The chick who I heard didn't even pip at all. I don't even know which egg she is in.
    I thought about upping the humidity but I wasn't sure if I should.

Any chickys today ? or pips ???? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

Nothing today. I am miserable. I know these eggs had chicks in them because I candled them all. I keep reviewing everything in my mind and I did everything correctly as far as I can see.
    turned 2x a day
    Temp from day 1 to day 19 99.5 to around 100.2 ish
    Humidity up until day 19 40-50% and then up on day 19 to around 60%

This is a sad day. :|

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I think your temp is too low. When mine hatched last weekend, I noticed that when the temp was 101-102 (still air) then there was activity. When the temps dropped to 98-99 and even 100 (due to opening the bator), the activity stopped. I did up it and had more hatch, but not all.

Do you have a sponge in there to increase your humidity? I think it should be around 65%. I had to wet a sponge and lay a wet paper towel over it to get the humidity that high. Can't hurt to try it at this point - might have delayed them a little but if you up everything, it might get them going.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by