1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nothings Happening, Day 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leecey411, Dec 7, 2007.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I have one chick hatching and nothing else is happening? Why?
    How could only one of 20 fertile eggs hatch? They looked good when I took them from the turner.
    I do not see a pip or hear a peep. I am thrilled to get the one but do not understand whats wrong with the others. I would think if one could hatch odds are a few others could hatch??

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Have you held any up to your ear to hear if they are tapping? Are any of the eggs wiggling? I hope they are just late hatching maybe tomorrow?

3. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Poison Ivy, I am afraid to do anything. The one that is hatching peeps and seem fine but the other eggs look the same as they did 21 days ago. I candled them when I took the from the turner and they looked good. I am waiting for this little one to finish hatching and then I will try tapping them. I do not want to mess up the humidity for the one thats almost out. Maybe they are all just late?

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    If it was me I would start an assisted hatch. You are either going to find
    chicks that didn't make it or late developing, live chicks. Gently tap open the air
    sac side of the egg. Only open enough so you can see what is happening inside.
    Post your results here asap so we can advise further. Take pics if you can.

My last hatch, due to bad temps, were late to develop and almost all required
    assistance in hatching. We have several happy and healthy chicks because we
    intervened. We also lost several so this isn't an easy thing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by