Noticed a chicken wheezing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dlynne1123, Dec 21, 2013.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    I have a mixed flock of bantams and standard fowl. I have incorporated some new chickens over the last few months and quarantined for two weeks, slowly introduced etc. I have been dealing with coccidiosis so I treated all new birds to be safe.

I've noticed my Cochin hiding. Not too unusual bc they seem to always be broody. I think some of the birds are beating up in her but not the other bantams. No wounds noticed. What concerned me when I went to check her out was that she stressed easily and was sounding wheezy? She's of normal weight and the littles get fed in a smaller house so they can avoid big chickens if they need to.

All other chickens sound ok. It's been over a month since I took these girls in. She is eating and drinking.

Suggestions? Should I get some abs? Injections? Or just observer for now?

Dani

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I know people are extremely quick to jump to antibiotics when anything seems out of whack. I wouldn't venture to diagnose your bird from here and prescribe treatment.
    IMO, it's not a good idea. Respiratory issues are much more likely to be viral, fungal, parasitic or environmental.
    ABs won't do anything for that. Giving antibiotics prophylactically, not knowing what the fault is, can do more harm to a stressed bird. A bird hiding could just have the dust and ammonia irritating the cilia in their tiny respiratory systems.
    I would separate her and wait - or get some lab work done.

Good job quarantining.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  3. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    So I took her and to observe. She seems fine at rest. Only when I stress her she breaths heavy. I'll see if she improves out if the coop considering dust and all with cold weather. She's def eating well and drinking. If it's a sort of upper resp issue, what other things should I be looking out for?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases can cause sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, eye drainage or bubbles, gurgles, wheeze, and swollen face or eyes. Here is a list of the common diseases (mycoplasmaG, coryza, IB, and ILT, among others): http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    how do you treat this, almost all our chickens are sneezing, including my breeding pair. What do i do.

6. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Now I'm worried. She seems to be twitching or shaking her head uncontrollably. Still eyes look clear, my vet started oral antibiotics bc she's good about it, still eating like a champ. No fever. She even open mouth breaths sometimes. No mites or lice seen at exam.

Is this some kind of neurological thing? Or is she so weak she's having muscle spasms?

Has anyone seen this, and recovered the bird?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are many respiratory diseases, and some of the unusual ones can cause some neurological symptoms such as wry neck. Also birds that have had coccidiosis may have weakened immunity to other things like resp. diseases and E.coli. What antibiotic did your vet prescribe? Keep your chicken warm enough as they sometimes chill when they are sick.

8. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    She's inside now. We are doing oral gentocin for now. I am also dealing with coccidiosis so she was on a treatment week when I noticed her hiding and breathing heavy.

I've been making her mesh but she'll eat anything! Poops are sometimes great, sometimes watery. I also added electrolytes to her water.

Should I be worried about worms in her throat? How do you keep them from exfixiating?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is eating that well, I don't think that she would have gapeworm or would asphyxiate, unless she gets worse. Is your vet prescribing gentocin to prevent an E.coli infection?

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Since you've taken her to the vet, ask your vet about gapeworm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by