Noticed big growth on young roo's neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ineggsperienced, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ineggsperienced

Ineggsperienced Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Midwest
    Today our little roo (4 months old) had a patch of feathers on the side of his neck that looked like they had dried in blood on them. I picked him up and looked closer and saw this big pink bump on the side of his neck, about the size of a nickel and standing out.

[​IMG]

At the base of is were some smaller red bumps looking just like the bigger one. The big one had obviously burst and had something like a wide crater in it. No visible drainage now, it looked quite dried up in the crater but not very healthy black color.... What is this, a cyst of some sort? Can I fix it? Does it need to be cut off? Will there be more? Is he going to be OK?

I haven't touched it yet, and unless someone tells me otherwise I guess I will try to clean it and put antibiotic ointment on it and hope for the best.

The roo seems very healthy otherwise, clear eyes, shiny clean feathers (except where they were bloodied), nice skin and acting his normal self.

Help?

2. pokemonchicken

pokemonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    take him to the vet:hit:([​IMG]:fl

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I would try to put a warm,wet compress on it and leave it there for a bit and see if you can make heads or tail out of it once the dried/dirty stuff is gone. Then maybe you can identify,or post new pics for us to identify,what is really going on. The treatment would depend on if there is a leison,a lump a hole etc. so I d say wash it out good soak it if stuff is stuck and then post again!

4. Ineggsperienced

May 9, 2010
    Midwest
    OK, I tried soaking it and cleaning it but there wasn't much dirt or dried in stuff that could come off. The lump is pretty firm to the touch. It is not warm and the surrounding skin isn't red or pink - it looks healthy, apart from the nasty bump thing that is.
    The crater isn't shallow, but it only goes about 1/3rd of the way into the bump. Still nothing leaking from it even after a good cleaning and drying. I tried taking pictures with a real camera instead of the phone, but it didn't come out much clearer.

The bloody feathers..
    [​IMG]

The location of the thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zooming in on the bump.

[​IMG]
    Another angle.

Me was a trooper laying still through the whole ordeal, I only had a finger on his neck to keep him down while taking photos. He's such a sweetie, poor guy [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Looks like a cut that got infected. Either take him to a vet or wash/drain the wound and pack it with antibiotic ointment, reapply daily. Neosporin works well. Might want to isolate him so no one else picks at it. Also could add some terramycin or duramycin to his water to help him heal up if it doesn't in a week. Keep it clear and fly free too!

6. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    looks much better than before [​IMG]

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I was thinking a cut or bite that got infected, too. I'd put antibiotic cream on it like atimme said. Poor guy. Glad you noticed and investigated.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Could be a chicken skin tag? I don't know if there is a such a thing. Just keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesn't get bigger as it heals.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  10. Ineggsperienced

May 9, 2010
    Midwest
    Two days since discovery and no change in any way. No seepage, no reddening of the skin, no change in activity level. Unfortunately the scabbed area is the same size too.
    Reading all these posts about bumblefoot made me wonder if there was an infection inside the lump, but when I cleanded it and tried squeezing it today only a drop or so of dark red blood came out, so not much blood flow to that area. But also no foul smell, down side is it hasn't closed one bit since Sunday even with daily neosporin.
    The lump is solid, not squishy and it is also not attached to the underlaying tissue. At this point I wonder if it would heal better if we got it off somehow *eek*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by