1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noticed sudden ear pecking and at a loss as to what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SevenOaksFarm, Sep 12, 2016.

1. SevenOaksFarm

SevenOaksFarm Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    US Midwest
    I just noticed that one of my 11 week old Buff Orpington pullets was allowing her neighbors on either side to peck at her ear area. She stood very still and let it continue until I interrupted. Not bloody (yet) but definitely sore looking on both sides. First photo is a pic of her darker ear area as well as the red area below. Second photo is a comparison to her healthy counterpart. I'm at a loss as to what this might mean. No cockerels in the mix. Mites? I have VetericynVF that I can apply if need be. I don't want the situation to escalate over night.
    [​IMG]
    Photo below is of healthy counter part with normal ear area for comparison. ETA, all pullets are same age from original hatch group.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Do the ones pecking her look like they are being aggressive or just pecking something off of her? Sometimes a hen will just submit to a more dominant bird but if a wound develops the others might keep after her. If you think it's aggression, here's a great article that may give you an idea of two
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens
    Good luck.

3. SevenOaksFarm

Aug 20, 2016
    US Midwest
    Thanks for the reply, Redsox. The pecking actually seemed benevolent and has not escalated over night and no sign of it continuing this morning. I actually spotted a couple of other chicks that have a reddish area behind their ear that looks a bit like a developing "lobe" of some sort? I need to do some reading on their comb/waddle development since I'm a newbie at the art of raising chickens. I will be keeping a watch out - as always - for any further questionable behaviors. Also thanks for sending the link!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Apply Blu-kote to the red area or in a pinch use blue food colouring till you get some....Green works also...If they see red they will not stop pecking the area...

Cheers

5. SevenOaksFarm

Aug 20, 2016
    US Midwest
    Great suggestion! I did not realize that is why it is called Blue Kote! Will order some. No further picking today but watching carefully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by