Noticed Wal-Mart Hamburger-Mexico, U.S., Canada?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country lady, Dec 19, 2008.

1. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I don't buy food from several countries: China, India, Mexico, etc, countries that I wonder about food safety. I phoned the consumer number on the hamburger package and was told the hamburger comes from U.S. feedlots but the package has to be labeled that way in case a "calf" is bought in Mexico and there's a problem that needs to be traced. We all know how awful animals are raised and slaughtered here. We have a chicken "factory" at the end of our road and we have to put the AC on circulation; the smell is so bad. There are also hog "factories" in our county which neighbors complain about constantly. So, I don't want another concern about imported sanitation. I do enjoy some imported food that I buy at Big Lots. I'm not against imported foods; it's just a sanitation matter with me.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Prior to starting my own herd, we only ate organic or grass fed beef. By doing so, you virtually eliminate all chances of getting e. coli and the human form of 'mad cow'. It's also not bad for the heart and vascular system like grain fed/grain finished beef is. We now grass feed and grass finish our entire herd and hang the meat 21-28 days. We eat like kings!

Research it and you'll never go back!

3. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I know what you mean about good meat. Years ago we lived in WA state and had a steer butchered on the property. It was a neat, clean, quick operation. Two men came and in no time handed me the heart, liver, and tongue. They hung the meat and then cut and put it in our locker. That's not available here. We now have a whole deer in our freezer. Our neighbor hunts our land and shares his kill. We also give eggs and vegetables to him. Years ago here in TN the neighbors had hog killings and we raised our hog. Sadly, almost all the older people have died and their children don't live that way any more. There's a lot to be said for simple living.

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    We hardly eat any beef at all here, simply because of the abundance of venison. When I do buy beef, I get free range at our food co-op.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I don't buy meat from Wal-Mart. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:[​IMG]

Best advice I've ever read on BYC.

8. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I just gave up meat all together!

9. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Our local grocery (owned by Kroger) has the same thing on their meat. I didn't buy it because I didn't want meat from Mexico.

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I buy locally ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by