Noticible cracks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by astatula, Sep 18, 2009.

1. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I just got 14 eggs through the mail and I trying my first hatch in a Brinsea Octagon 20 with auto-turn. One egg has a noticible crack going the long way around the egg and the other egg has a crack completely around the belly of the egg.

Nothing is leaking from these eggs. Do I try to hatch them or do I trash them for the safety of the other 12 eggs?

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i heard people here use hot wax to cover the crack but for more details let's just wait the expert to answer. [​IMG]

3. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    There are 17,000 pores on every egg in there, you can't see the moisture and air exchanges happening, but they are. This is a direct channel for all the bacteria in your bater. A compromised shell will cause issues for more than just that eggs outcome. You risk that egg getting loads of bacteria, rotting, and contaminating your other eggs. It will also probably lose water quicker and your chick couldn't hatch due to dryness. You can try home remedies, but I would pitch it.

Plus if an egg received that much abuse, I wonder if it has a moving air sac, damaged chalaza or other issues you can't see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by