Notifying neighbors

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by keeks&kiwimom, Mar 24, 2018.

1. keeks&kiwimom

keeks&kiwimom Chirping

Mar 6, 2018
    Central Oregon
    I've read several articles/posts (after buying chicks) suggesting to do the neighborly thing by letting your neighbors know you are planning on raising chickens. I just bought a house (in January) on 1.4 acres in a rural area. We do not have CC&R's and I did check with the county to make sure that we were allowed to have chickens and there response was our county is "a right to farm" county. With that being said i thought i was all good. I went out and bought 5 chicks. Should I still let the neighbors know? Honestly i really don't want to. Our neighbors weren't so warm and fuzzy when we first moved in and i tried to strike up a conversation with them so I have no idea how to even bring it up. Our property is completely fenced in and i don't plan on letting the chickens free range outside of there run unless I am out there so should I still notify the neighbors? All suggestions are welcome!:wee

Rubysword likes this.
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You're legal, fenced in, planning on keeping them on your property. If they weren't overly friendly to begin with, I wouldn't poke that bear. I would suggest you put their coop/run as far from their house as possible, though. If you bought pullets, they shouldn't have too much to complain about.

Cacique500, aart, venymae and 8 others like this.
  3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I wouldn't personally. Your life is your life, they don't need to know.

4. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    X10.

JaeG, keeks&kiwimom and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I wouldn't ... I live in a residential area, never informed my neighbors and they never knew until I told them, ha ha. Your property is fenced, chickens won't be "free ranged" so they won't pester the neighbors, you're zoned "a right to farm" ; you're good to go. Enjoy & glad you've joined us.

6. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    It is your property

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed. You are under no obligation to tell your neighbors that you have chickens, gold fish, a dog, or a garden.

8. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    No I wouldn’t tell your neighbor, your county said already you have the right to farm. Besides you have enough size property and it’s all fenced. You already said they’re not warm and fuzzy neighbors so there’s no need.

9. keeks&kiwimom

keeks&kiwimom Chirping

Mar 6, 2018
    Central Oregon
    Thank you! That's a great suggestion. I will make sure to put the coop/run far away from all of them. I'm hoping they are all pullets, the feed store said they are 95% sure they were. I guess we shall wait and see.

10. keeks&kiwimom

keeks&kiwimom Chirping

Mar 6, 2018
    Central Oregon
    Thanks. Those were my thoughts exactly. I guess i just needed to hear it from someone else ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: