Novaehollandiae? Woodwardi? Rothschildi?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Supreme Emu, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Hmmm . . . I assume my emus are Rothschildi because (a) I'm in South-West Western Australia, and (b) they fit the description. Does anyone/everyone here know what species their birds are? Do any have the ruff? The pendulous pouch? Does it affect booming and grunting?

[It's mating season here: lots of booming and grunting -- even, sometimes, at the Supreme Emu!]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Well, I'm willing to reveal the depth of my ignorance . . . I didn't realize there were different breeds. We just have what the breeder was selling.

I'm gonna go research this . . . [​IMG]

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe mine ar Dromaius novaehollandiae novaehollandiae, though they could be D. novaehollandiae woodwardi.

4. Supreme Emu

Jun 8, 2010
    I started reading on the net when my emu chicks were about ten months old, in order to determine what sex they were. During that reading, I learned that there were six species, of which three remain extant.

Some of the general information that I found is good; some is clearly nonsense; some I don't understand yet. One text, for example, sys that emus may drink four gallons of water on a hot day. Is that right? How many ludicrous little beakie sips makes up four gallons anyway?

Perhaps we could start an archive of (quality) information. I remain interested. For example, several locals have mentioned 'albino' emus. I suspect they mean 'sandy-coloured.' I have seen a remarkably dark emu on one occasion.

I don't know where I got this picture. Isn't the ruff lovely! And this emu would be a . . . ??[​IMG]

Mark Blair, Rocky Gully, W.A., Australia

5. Supreme Emu

Jun 8, 2010
  6. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:that one looks very much so like a Dromaius novaehollandiae novaehollandiae, you can see the pendulous pouch is very large.
    There are some breeders who breed for color, I believe it's not so much albinism as it is leucism. I haven't seen any melanistic birds but I am sure they are out there as well.

7. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks, Supreme Emu! Ours are def. not Novaehollandiae, but I'll have to wait a bit to narrow it down. I'm also going to check the American Emu Assoc. website.

8. Supreme Emu

Jun 8, 2010
    Thank you, Dingo – 'leucism'! For me, a new and useful term.

I'm enjoying my . . . unknowingness – but first, a little background: two years ago, I was pensioned off, and came to live in a farmhouse in the boonies. (No cat or dogs. Vehicles only rarely.) The farmhouse had been untenanted for some time, and the fruit trees here were clearly on the 'life map' of the local emus. I patiently began enticing one of them by chopping up fallen peaches, and knocking down other fruit.

Several months later, I was able to sit – deathly still – just two metres from that bird, Eric the Emu. Then Eric disappeared. Then, about four months later, he turned up one morning with a CHICK!! Then a second. Then a third.

Several months after that, I had the pleasure (while lying very very still) of having one of the chicks take a fig from my hand.

Since then, I've fed them morning and night (a handful of wheat, and fruit for treats). The three chicks are – I think – just fully grown. I can sit and observe them in the bush from a metre away. Their names are Greedy and Felicity and Number One. They are 'wild' emus that wander through my carport; and, if you are game enough to hold a date between your lips, Greedy will snatch it without touching you.

So, my potential value to BYC emu-persons is that, although I'm yet to see a newly-hatched chick, or a male sitting on eggs, I may be able to answer questions concerning emus in their natural habitat. Please do ask. (For example, as I wrote elsewhere, I have had the privelege of watching wild emus fight for territory from a distance of ten yards. I don't know how the captive birds behave, but the wild ones kick arse. I saw one snap-kick another – except the kick was too fast to see. You just hear the thump of impact, and see a puff of feathers. Move over, Bruce Lee!)

Greedy, the female (?) is, according to description, a rothschildi (so, no ruff). However, though I see no pendulous pouch, she has a ruff that is almost as pronounced, when displayed, as the one in the photo that I posted – hence my questions.

Mark Blair, Rocky Gully, W.A., Australia

9. Supreme Emu

Jun 8, 2010
  10. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    How does one pronounce Dromaius novaehollandiae novaehollandiae?
    Just wondering [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by