November - Epilepsy Awareness Month

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by EquestrianGirl, Oct 30, 2013.

1. EquestrianGirl

EquestrianGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    Some people may know that November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. But sadly, most people in the world don't know it. Both my sister and my aunt have Epilepsy, and I know how that there are a lot of people that are uninformed about what Epilepsy is, and how to handle seizures.

Statistics:

65 Million people in the world have Epilepsy.

Over 2 million people in the United States that have Epilepsy.

150,000 is how many new cases of Epilepsy arise each year.

1/3 of Epilepsy patients live with uncontrollable seizures because no treatment is effective in their case.

And 6 out of 10 is the number of people where the cause of their Epilepsy is unknown.

What happens in the brain during a seizure?

A seizure is a physical reaction to excessive electrical discharges in the brain cells. I like to compare it to a lightning storm.

What types of seizures are there?

There are 6 more common types of seizures:

Generalized Seizures: These types of seizures involve the entire brain.
    Generalized Tonic Clonic Seizures-Most common and best known. It begins with the person exhaling all of the air from their lungs(Can be a sigh, an yawn, a scream, etc.) The person may fall (if they are standing), their limbs stiffen, and they begin to jerk.

Myoclonic Seizures-Often mistaken for clumsiness. It is usually as simple as the hand or foot jerking.

Atonic Seizures-The person usually will just collapse due to complete loss of muscle tone.

Absence Seizures-(Also called Petit Mal Seizures.) The person looses awareness, and may seem like they are just staring off. These seizures usually begin and end quickly.

Partial Seizures: These types of seizures only involve part of the brain.

"Virtually any movement, sensory, or emotional symptom can occur as part of a partial seizure, including complex visual or auditory hallucinations."

Simple Partial Seizures-The person will remain conscious.

Complex Partial Seizures-The person will loose consciousness.

What needs to be done if someone has a seizure?

There is an old belief that you are supposed to stick something in a seizing person's mouth to keep them from swallowing their tongue. Not true. It is physically impossible to swallow your tongue. When you get a chance, go look in the mirror at the under-side of your tongue. See that little thing connecting your tongue to the bottom of your mouth? That's called the lingual frenulum. Having that there makes it totally impossible to swallow your tongue. Putting something in their mouth make actually choke them faster than their own tongue will.

But, it is possible that the tongue may get in the way during a seizure. That's what the Recovery Position is for, but I'll talk about that in a minute.

During a seizure, don't hold the person down or try to move them. Just move anything away from them that they might hurt themselves on (Chairs, sharp objects, etc.), and "let them do their thing," as my aunt says.

A Generalized Seizure should never last over five minutes. If it does, 911 should be called.

Now, about the Recovery Position. After the seizure ends, simply roll the person onto their side, to help their breathing. Be friendly and reassuring with the person as they begin to regain consciousness. They will likely be confused at first.

Offer to call one of their family members for them if they seem too confused or unstable to get home.

The color Pink is used for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. What color is for Epilepsy Awareness Month?

The color for Epilepsy Awareness Month is Purple!

Please help inform others about Epilepsy, because 1 in 26 people will develop Epilepsy in their lifetime.

All credit goes to the Epilepsy Foundation for the information used!

1 person likes this.
  2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow thank you so much for informing me!I learned a lot from your thread and I think others will too. My labrador retriever has epilepsy.He had a seizure two nights ago :(

3. EquestrianGirl

Oct 27, 2013
    Aww! Sorry about your labrador! Is he on any medications?

4. Iuvmychix

Yes, he is on a salt-based medication. I can’t describe what it actually is...

5. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Thank you EQ!!!!! [​IMG]

My oldest DD has Epilepsy; she has had both Generalized Tonic Clonic and Simple Partial seizures. Thankfully we have a MANY more medications for Epilepsy than we did just 20 years ago, and one of these newer medications keeps my daughter seizure free.

Unfortunately we did just lose a local 16 year old girl to a seizure. She had a massive Tonic Clonic in her sleep and never woke up. Just heartbreaking, and the little community she lived in have been rocked to the core..... of course, this is my worst nightmare.

6. EquestrianGirl

Oct 27, 2013
    Yes we do! I just went to an Epilepsy seminar a few days ago, and they showed the time-line of Epilepy medications, and it'samazing how many new drugs they've come up with in just the past ten years! I'm so happy that you have found a medication that keeps your daughter seizure-free! My Aunt couldn't find a medicine to control her seizures. So, we went to last-resort, and she had brain surgery. We are going on three weeks with no seizures, which is BIG for us!

I'm so sorry for the girl, her family, and the entire community. I think that is something that all family members of Epileptics fear the most. I know I do.
    Well I'm glad he's on something. I hope it works for him!

7. Iuvmychix

Thank you. It is working pretty well, I guess. He is not seizure free, although he is close. He used to get seizures randomly! What was odd about this though, was that when he first started having seizures they were mostly on holidays! He had one on St.Patrick’s day and one on Christmas and then again one on Valentine’s day. I haven’t the faintest idea if this was just an eerie coincedence or if there was a meaning behind it. After a year of getting seizures on holidays he has started to get them on normal work days again. Nowadays he gets one,maybe, every five months or so. It is strange that he has started to get seizures so early. He was only two years old when he had his first seizure. I know that the day of his first traumatic seizure is a day I will never forget. Also, our dog was enrolled in guide dog school and could have finished and become the ideal guide dog except he didn’t get accepted because of his epilepsy.Of course, this wasn’t the only factor he didn’t get accepted,but it was the main one. I understand that an epileptic dog wouldn’t be a very good guide dog, but sometimes I think about what a great guide dog he could have been if he didn’t have seizures. My avatar is a picture of our epileptic dog Ed. :)

8. EquestrianGirl

Oct 27, 2013
    I'm glad he doesn't have seizures often. He is very cute, and I'm sure he would have made the perfect guide dog [​IMG]

9. Iuvmychix

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by