novice and new member in indiana

BeccaBeBecca

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hello! Top of the world to you all! I'm Rebecca and I presently live in Bloomington Indiana. Within the month, I will be moving to Seymour Indiana. Upon the completion of the move, I would like to "get back to my roots". I intend to raise chickens but I'm a novice and will be learning as I go. My first order of business is trying to discover the ordinances for keeping chickens within city limits in Seymour. I have had little luck and dont know where to start to get this info. I look forward to learning from you. Thanks for you input! :)

TwoCrows

A Native Raven
Staff member
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

First thing you will want to do is call your local town hall, of the town you will be living in, and ask about the laws on keeping poultry. They can tell you all you need to know. If by chance they can't tell you anything, then you might stop by this section here on BYC on Local Chicken Laws and How To Change Them. Your town maybe in here. You can also use this section should you run into trouble and need to get laws changed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Next, you can chat with others in your state thread to see if they might know our laws or even how they got theirs changed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here

While you are waiting on all this info, you can stop by our learning center for lots of great articles on getting started with chickens, raising the babies, building the coop and all other aspects of keeping your new flock...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

This should get you started. Good luck on this great journey you are on and if you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Kelsie2290

Free Ranging
Premium member
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Ohio
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the upcoming move, hope you are able to have chickens! TwoCrows gave you some great links to get you started in figuring it out.

matt47274

Hatching
5 Years
May 17, 2014
If you have been reading the Tribune lately you will know my name Matthew Beem as I have been engaged in the conversation to keep chickens in Seymour. I have to tell you that there is an Ordance that is going to be introduced on May 27 at city council (city hall) @ 7pm that is planning on banning chickens I was informed by the Mayor the only chance I have to get the council to be permissive to chickens is to pack that meeting with supporters. So if this is something that means a lot to you be there and bring everyone you know, it is a must if we are going to win! You just being there would be wonderful but if you feel real passionately you could contact the mayor's secretary, Gloria @ 5226349 and request to be put on agenda of that meeting to speak. You can keep it as short and to the point as you like if you don't enjoy public speaking. But please show up and bring as many friends as you can and spread the word! Thanks Matt

Top Bottom