Novice Chick Raiser

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Navajo Brahmans, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Navajo Brahmans

Navajo Brahmans Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Eungella
    Hi this is my first post!

Also my first time with a broody hen. I have put her in a small fully enclosed cage in a crate which is about 60 cm in width - 30cm wide and about 15cm high. Full of hay.............

1. Is it too high for the chicks to get out when they are born.
    2. I have only put 7 eggs under her, I could have put 12? What's the norm?
    3. I haven't seen her eat at all, its been 8 days? So I'm worried................

Reading the other blogs, it's best not to interfere but when can I relocate her into a larger chook pen? The pen she is in has small rocks on the ground, is this bad for the chicken's?

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible because I only have 12 day's before they hatch

Kind regards Cherry Jackson-Saw Australia

2. HobbyFarmNoob

HobbyFarmNoob Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    Canada
    I can't picture what kind of crate? you put your broody hen in.

We just had our first broody hen experience, she had 1 of her own eggs under her and we bought some fertilized eggs and added them in making a total of 13. Her egg tried hatching but didn't live, and now we have 10 hatched eggs. I suppose we were lucky that it was only her and the rooster in the coop so we didn't have to move her? ( I read online that 12 is average depending on size of hen and size of eggs - but I still consider myself a newbie to this stuff ;) ).

The nesting box was right off the floor so there wasn't much of a step down for the chicks, tho we did have to stuff some straw behind the box cause some of the chicks were getting stuck. The coop was here when we moved in to the property so the nesting boxes weren't made very ideally.

As for eating, they apparently only come off the eggs 1-2 X a day to eat and use the restroom. I happened to time it right once and saw her off of her eggs. So I wouldn't worry about it. We also changed the layer pellets to the chick starter about half way through. Which I think I could have done earlier? But again, I'm a newbie here. Momma and chicks look healthy, and the chicks are just adorable! Love watching them together <3

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Firstly, hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'll share my experience and try to help out where i can. Other members will have different experiences, so don't be alarmed if the advice that you receive seems contradictory.

Also my first time with a broody hen. I have put her in a small fully enclosed cage in a crate which is about 60 cm in width - 30cm wide and about 15cm high. Full of hay............. I prefer to use sand or soil as it retains heat better than hay - its also easier for chicks to walk around.

1. Is it too high for the chicks to get out when they are born- You can build up the bedding or put a stone or some such thing to act as a "step" (remember to make a step on the outside)

2. I have only put 7 eggs under her, I could have put 12? What's the norm? Depends on the size of your hen
    3. I haven't seen her eat at all, its been 8 days? So I'm worried................I would have thought that she would have done, but keeping her in a relatively small space means that she may not wish to defecate and hence will eat even more sparingly than one may expect. Its best to keep food and water a distance from the nest, and also allow access to the outdoors so that a broody hen can dust bathe, defecate, stretch her legs etc.

Reading the other blogs, it's best not to interfere but when can I relocate her into a larger chook pen? The pen she is in has small rocks on the ground, is this bad for the chicken's?

As soon as all the viable eggs hatch, the broody may no longer be interested in the nest (mine don't seem to be, at least). You can move her and the chicks into the main coop from day 1. Sure, use a cage within the coop for her and the chicks (with food and water) but you can open the door, so mum can take the chicks outside whenever she feels like it.

Personally, i leave my broody in the main coop to hatch and simply bring chicks and mum to ground level, once the hatch is complete. I put food and water for them in the coop, but let mum do whatever she wishes - if she feels its better to keep the chicks in the coop or she wants to take them outside - its her choice. I have never lost a chick to another flock member, but other members have reporting this happening.

I should add that I have plenty of space in my coop (converted shed) and so some aspects of how i manage a broody hatching chicks could be different from others.

CT

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by