Novice Chicken Owner Here...sick chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tumtumchickens, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tumtumchickens

tumtumchickens New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    A little bit of background:

This is my first year ever raising chickens. We got 4 chicks this spring and raised them. They're all healthy and have just begun laying.

Last week, we decided to get two more chickens. (It was a bad idea and we're never buying grown chickens again.) They are molting. I put the new chickens in with our existing chickens the night we bought them (terrible mistake on my part.). After two days, our hens had pecked one of the new girls so badly that there was blood around her tail where the feathers haven't come in yet. I pulled both of the new hens out of the coop and put them in a dog crate in the garage after treating their wounds.

They've been in the garage for 4 days now, and their wounds are healing nicely.

Two days ago, I noticed that one of the hens started coughing after I put some food on the ground for them. I assumed she had swallowed a pine shaving along with her food and didn't think much of it. Yesterday, I noticed she was sneezing, wheezing, and coughing. But other than that, she was behaving, eating, and drinking as usual.

Today, she seems worse. There is a clear discharge around her eyes and beak, and she is still sneezing and wheezing (though that is better than it was yesterday).

I'm getting concerned about her. I gave her some yogurt yesterday, hoping that the probiotics would help her immune system, and it made her poo really runny. I gave our four other hens yogurt as well, and it had no affect on their poo.

What can I do for this sick girl? Is it possible that the stress of molting and being relocated is too much for her? Or am I dealing with something more serious?

Any ideas would be welcome!

2. tumtumchickens

tumtumchickens New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    I forgot to mention that the sick chicken is a Buff Orphington. :)

3. chicky1016

chicky1016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    I got 2 chickens a few Mos ago and put them in with my (then) flock of 12. Those 2 got everyone sick with the same symptoms you described, I treated them with Tylan for 2 weeks. And put some kind of vitamin supplement in their water (it was a yellow powder), And it worked.

4. tumtumchickens

tumtumchickens New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    Thank you so much for replying! Glad to hear that your chickens recovered! Where can I get Tylan? Did you keep your new girls separated from the existing ones while they were recovering?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The new ones may be carriers of a possible respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, or bronchitis. The stress of molting and being moved may have been enough to trigger an outbreak. They can infect your other chickens if they are around them, even if their symptoms go away after antibiotics. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally 1 ml by mouth twice daily for 5 days. Or instead, Tylan Soluble Powder or Oxytetracycline can be given in the water if they are drinking normally, but most sick chickens do not drink enough. Personally, I would probably return them or consider culling since they may be sick.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. chicky1016

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    Thank you so much for replying!  Glad to hear that your chickens recovered! Where can I get Tylan? Did you keep your new girls separated from the existing ones while they were recovering?
    [/quote

I couldn't because I didn't have the means, and it didn't matter anyway because within 2 days, everyone was sick. I got Tylan on amazon, it's pricey. I think a jar was 60 bucks or something, but you don't use all of it so I still have a lot left. The vitamin supplement I got at tractor supply- they may even have the Tylan there too. They were out of it when I needed it, apparently my area had a lot of sick chickens at that time ( we had a lot of rain). Also, if they lay when they are on the med ( they probably wont), you cannot eat the eggs until 10 days after the last dose of the medicine. That's what the guy told me.

7. chicky1016

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    And I also had to pick up a tube of terramycin at tractor supply because during this time, one of my hens had her eye all gooped shut. It's an ointment you put on the eye. Only took one application and it opened right up.

8. tumtumchickens

tumtumchickens New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    Thank you, Eggcessive.

Chicky1016, thanks for the info. I've ordered some Tylan off of Amazon...the injectable type. It won't be here until Monday. I just hope she makes it that long!

Last night, I put some garlic in her water, hoping that it might help. It seems to have worked! She was much more perky this morning and there was far less goop in her eyes and around her beak. I'm hoping that it holds her off until the Tylan gets here.

Thanks for your help!

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable is usually available at many feed stores in the cattle section. Sometimes you may only see Tylan 200 injectable, but that can be used as well. 200 is 4 times the strength of the 200, so watch the dosage. They can be given orally for those who don't want to give shots, as well as by injection. Tylan 50 dosage is 1/2 ml for under 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb, given once or twice a day for 5 days. For a bantam 1/4 ml would be good. Cleaning infected eyes with saline or Vetericyn eye wash, and then applying either Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel twice a day can help, but any pus should be removed first.

10. tumtumchickens

tumtumchickens New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    Awesome. Thanks so much for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by