1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Novice chicken photographer has staging questions

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by peachychick, Sep 10, 2010.

1. peachychick

peachychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Do any of you take pictures of your normally penned chickens outside of the coop/run and how do they react to their new-found freedom? We have planted a sunflower patch and I'd really like to make some pics of all the different breeds posed in front of them next month. I don't know how they will react to being loosed in such large groups. We have a couple of free ranging roosters on each side of the property. They mostly hang around the coops they used to live in waiting on us to show up with their dinner. They have never run into the wild-blue-yonder as we assumed they would.
    I'm afraid that if let out in mass, they will sound the alarm when we get finished with the photo shoot and not want to go home. It'll be about 100 yards from their coops, so we'll probably load them all up in crates rather than just wait for them to find the flowers on their own [​IMG]. I thought about doing it just before dusk, so that they might not see as well when it's time to go back in, but the lighting would be better in the morning and there is a pond on two sides that they might fly into.
    Does the sight of chicken-scratch over power the instint to run after bugs in the wild?
    Has anyone ever staged a backdrop for their adult chickens like i'm thinking of doing? and would you mind sharing how they reacted?
    GTG feed my little super-models!
    Kelli
    P.S. hope this is in the right section. all my searches returned threads about participating in BYC online chicken shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by