Novice city farmer has questions

kelleyazul

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
Hi all... started my little flock last spring... all was well until a visiting dog got into the coop on Friday after Thanksgiving. 1 hen was dead at the scene, 1 unscathed and the remaining 2 are very beat up... huge lacerations on one that we stitched immediately with needle and thread... the second also had a long laceration and also a deep puncture but relatively no bleeding... we were surprised though that she made it thru the night. Both have survived 4 days... are getting .3cc of Penicillin/daily and I'm bathing the suture lines with a dilute betadine solution... They can both stand but are reluctant... today I was home briefly at lunch and I'm afraid i detect some foul odor. They are alert and eating... loved the scrambled eggs they got for breakfast... thoughts?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh, I am so sorry about your hens. I have never dealt with such severe injuries before so I can't tell you either way. I think you are doing well by giving penicillin to help with any infection. You might ask this same question in our emergency section for more input and opinions...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope you can get these birds back to good health soon.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your hens! I'd definitely post in the Emergencies section. Hopefully, they can help you out.

I posted in the EMergency section first...no replies... thought I'd done it wrong... I'll try again.

I would think the one with the deep puncture is where the odor may be coming from. Deep puncture wounds are bad, you really want punctures to bleed some - the fact that it didn't makes me feel she has an infection. If she was a person I'd run to get her a tetanus shot. I don't know that birds(or animals) get shots for that. Could you get medical attention for her? Maybe put up "deep puncture - how to treat" in the search box.

Welcome to BYC!

x2 on drumstick diva's comment. Try using the search feature and see if there's something helpful there and maybe re-post in the emergencies section. I hope your birds will be ok. It seems I see more birds getting hurt by dogs than any other predator.

Nice to have you join us.

Back
Top Bottom