Novice free ranged chicken owner. Needs help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Becksbirds, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Becksbirds

Becksbirds New Egg

Mar 23, 2009
    Can't get a straight answer on hen to rooster ratio. We have 3 hens and one very protective rooster. Is he going to wear out my girls? We thought we were given a hen until he started crowing, etc...He's beautiful and I want to keep him. Do I need to get some more hens?

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    10 to 12 hens per roo for fertile eggs unless you have a very very aggresive roo you should be ok.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Any excuse to buy more hens...LOL

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If you see signs that the hens are being overbred, like missing feathers or injuries, then get him more hens. I had a very nice phoenix roo that was quite happy for years with one or two bantam hens and there weren't any problems. Some roosters are rougher than others. You will just have to watch him. He might be fine. Personally, I would get more hens because you can never have enough! [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree with Jody. A protective rooster that's also respectful of his humans is worth his weight in gold; especially if you free-range.
    If he tears the girls up too bad, there's always saddles.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm with horsejody and gritsar. If your hens back's aren't being torn up then he's fine with just the three. If they start getting 'beat up' by his advances then you probably need to add more hens so he can divide his time between more hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by