novice needing help identifying Rooster

newbreed 22

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015

Was hoping to get some help identifiying the breed and age of this rooster. Got him today, hes starting to grow spurs barely,lol. Also his tail feathers are not as long as what i figured they would be. Thanks

My guess is.... Red sex link hen and rooster. Red sex link roosters are white in the first generation but can hatch different in the second.

I think that nj2wv has the right idea, but just for a terminology correction, a second generation Red Sex Link is no longer a Red Sex Link as sex links will not breed true. Your rooster is a mixed breed, probably either the result of crossing two Red Sex Links, or perhaps a Red Sex Link with something like a Production Red. Your hen looks like a true (1st generation) Red Sex Link.

You are right. I never thought of them being mixes in the second generation. Thanks for the information. I learned something new today ! They are a good breed. I have a few. My top rooster is a first generation rsl. His name is captain and the name fits. He is a good boy.

This rooster is not aggressive. Picked him up 3 times today and not so much as a single peck, hen is the same way. I named my rooster Red Fox and my hen Loretta Lynn, lol.

You are right. I never thought of them being mixes in the second generation. Thanks for the information. I learned something new today ! They are a good breed. I have a few. My top rooster is a first generation rsl. His name is captain and the name fits. He is a good boy.

You're welcome. I've had a large number of Red Sex Links (red gene rooster X silver gene hen) over the years sold under a number of different labels (Red Star, Gold Sex Link, Gold Star, Golden Comet, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Isa Brown, etc.), but no matter what label hatcheries market them under they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

Back
Top Bottom