1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Novice needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monichickie, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Monichickie

Monichickie New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    Hi all... I've lurked around here since we got our chickens last year, three Jersey Giants, three Barred Rocks. Now I've got a problem... my beloved Barred Rock Fiona has been down since Friday. She is lethargic, and moves her neck around kinda weird. I've seen images of impacted crop, and she doesn't seem to have that, but what she does have in the middle of her chest is a lump about the size of my thumb. I've had her in the house in her brother's (a dog, but he shares) bed, wrapped loosely in a towel and a lamp with a 60 watt bulb on her. I've had her on Sulmet since Sunday. She drinks a little water and she's eaten a little pumpkin/apple cider vinegar/plain greek yougurt conncotion recommended by a friend. I just can't be sure that it isn't impacted crop... or maybe a tumor. She has pooped a few times... still greenish with white, but it is liquidy. I would appreciate any help that is out there.
    Thanks!!!
    ~monica

2. Monichickie

Monichickie New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    I guess I should also mention she was a year old in April.

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    All I can think of is that she may have eaten something and it is stuck, partially blocking her throat or crop. There was a thread recently where a bird swallowed a cherry whole and had this issue.
    Watery poop suggests she's not getting enough food, so I'd think about giving her sugar water and some electrolytes along with the other things you're giving her, which are great. Anything that's a very runny consistency to get past whatever's in there - be it a tumour or a blockage.
    You could try feeding her a little olive oil to help loosen anything that might be stuck - it wont hurt if that isn't the issue [​IMG]

Any chance of getting her to a vet?

4. Monichickie

Monichickie New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    Cherries... that might be it. Our cherry tree is full and its possible. A vet may be a possiblity, but I have to wait until I get paid, which is not until the 1st. Its a sad commentary to have to put her in that situation, but it is what it is. I will continue what I've been doing... I have added sugar to the sulmet water, hoping that wouldn't hurt and will give her a little olive oil.

Thanks so much Stargirl, from me and Fiona!!!

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    aha! hopefully that is the answer then - here's the other thread that I was thinking of https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=530401

I
    think we can all understand about needing to wait for payday for vet visits - I know I do! Hopefully by then the situation might have resolved itself anyway [​IMG]
    Keep us posted, and do keep checking back as some more experienced folk might add better ideas later tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by