novice on the loose

nan-tan

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
hi! if it isn't obvious, i'm new here. i've lurked for a while, but finally gave in and decided to join up. forgive me in advance for the possibility of initial awkwardness and introversion... it's something i can't help when feeling intimidated.

i normally go by Nan. i'm a 21 year old, five foot even tomboy, weighing in at about 110 lbs soaking wet, with a awful case of ADHD and an even worse case of social anxiety. i prefer to stay at home--all day, every day. although that's usually perceived as a terribly miserable existence, it's quite the opposite with me. i am a very content individual with many admirable hobbies, a wonderful job, and an all around lovely life. some tidbits about me: i'm mainly all about drawing (or rather, artistry in general), researching and practicing survival skills, peaceful uprising against injustice, and crossbow hunting. when i hunt, i aim to use all that i can from a kill. pelts, feathers, bones, and meat as there's no more room for wastefulness in this world. i make jewelry and art from the bones, which is sooo much fun. i'm bonkers about organic/natural medicine (i think they call it 'alternative medicine...' only heaven knows why
roll.png
) and promoting a more healthy, self sufficient lifestyle. i like to keep my actual profession to myself, however, as i am certain it is frowned upon by the masses.

anyways~

the main reason i have joined is the common one. this weekend i will be going to the local flea market to locate a rooster and 3 to 4 hens. i doubt i will buy them directly from the flea market; i'm going to take my time choosing what i want. i'm hoping for a decent in-between chicken meat quality and egg quality, as i intend to harvest both when the birds begin to reproduce.

i have an ever so lengthy to-do list in preparation for my new babies. i have already purchased wood and wire for building a sizable living space for them. but that's pretty much as far as i've gotten. i still need to obtain organic, non GMO-laden feed, good quality hay for nesting, and some sort of way to keep predators away from them at night when they return to the run/coop.

i USED to own chickens at a younger age. the majority were those described as 'fighting roosters.' at first it was an exciting job to raised and feed them and collect their eggs. but as time went on, my young mindset grew bored, and though i still cared for and nurtured them, they eventually were taken out by old age and predators. that was about 10 years ago. now that i'm older and have a more solid attention span (and the craving to add to my pursuit of self-sufficiency), i know i'll be able to handle these animals in much better.

i also hope to obtain other types of birds, like turkey, ducks, and quail.

so hello! it's nice to meet you all. i hope you're more friendly and less troll-ridden than other online communities. be gentle with me, please, i'm fragile. :p

Welcome to BYC from West TN ! Glad you have taken the plunge and joined the group, you will do fine with your newest readventure with chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
I am about 5 ft.tall and during the 80's I weighed 110. then it started stock piling. I too have social phobias and also had agoraphobia and anxiety disorders. My sister and I were both tomboys growing up. My mother kept getting us dolls and we kept dumping them somewhere. For the most part people are very nice on BYC. Now and then you get some that aren't. Just ignore them.

Hi nan-tan! You sound like a cool person with a lot of the same interests and problems as me. Welcome to BYC, hope you enjoy it and make a lot of good friends!

Blessings to you!

images

Yep...you sound exactly like me when I was your age. I was once 110 pounds as well, and held it most of my life, but I guess old age has now set in!!
old.gif
Once a tomboy, always a tomboy.
lol.png
And wow, was I riddled with anxiety! I suffered with nervous stomach well into my early 30's. But now, I just let everything roll off me like water on a ducks back! I can finally say I am comfortable with myself, life and my expanded waist line!
gig.gif

Good luck in all of life's adventures and enjoy BYC!

thanks for all the warm welcomes, folks. it really makes me feel... well... welcomed! heheh.

Back
Top Bottom