Novice question - how/when to sex chicks???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by reedyfork, Dec 4, 2009.

1. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    We just picked up a few day-old chicks yesterday to start our backyard, pet/hobby flock. We now have five little chicks, and the breeder claims they are RIR x Red Comet (?) cross.

Because we live in the city, we are limited to eventually three chickens and NO roosters.

At what point do I (the absolute novice) start to try and figure out what sex they are? And how exactly would I go about this? I assume this topic is covered in great detail "somewhere", but I just can't find it...

Thanks!

Ron

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    As a genereal rule about 5 weeks of age of so you will notice if you have males that they are getting slighly larger than the girls and will have a darker red comb on their heads.
    That or you will know for sure later on when one starts crowing.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep, about 5 wks you should start to see a difference, or keep posting pics on here and let us tell you.

BTW, With that cross you should get some (both sexes) that look light red with black tails (like Production Reds) and some that are light red with white tails (like Golden Comet hens),

4. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    satay i agree around 5 weeks

5. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the input everyone. It definitely does seem like the most popular thing to do is for me to post a bunch of photos and let all the experts tell me what they are:) Probably a lot more accurate than me trying to figure it out...

I'll make a note to check at 5 wks. and go from there.

Thanks again.

Ron

6. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    What I found with my eleven chicks was that the legs of the male birds were thicker, or more masculine, than the pullets. We ended up with two roosters and both had big, thick legs before tail feathers or crowing.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by