Novice Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 3LilChicks707, Jan 19, 2017.

1. 3LilChicks707

3LilChicks707 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Hi All!
    Our family is pretty new at chicken farming & ever since we started I've been mulling this question in the back of my mind. So, if you decide to include a rooster in your flock then I'd assume that you'd then have to commit to one breed of chicken? Because if you didn't then wouldn't you get a bunch of mixed breed chicks? We started raising chickens for two main reasons, one being that my kids joined 4H & plan to be part of the Poultry Project. This includes showing their hens at poultry shows, county fairs, etc,. Obviously, they can't show chickens that are mixed breed. Here in lies the conundrum. We'd love to see our hens sit (set?) & hatch out a few chicks! Then just sit back & watch how "Mom" raises them, but I feel like we can't do that unless we commit to one sole breed which would be near impossible to choose from & in all honesty, a bit boring too! Any ideas or advice heartily welcome!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's quite easy to tell one breeds egg from another. Let's say you've multiple breeds and a Wyandotte cock; you'd only show the chicks that are Wyandotte. You could move the flock over to that one breed (be it Wyandotte of what have you) by only hatching that one breeds eggs as you can tell them apart from other breeds eggs. Or hatch out a bunch of mix breeds and a few of the one breed. It's easy to tell a mix and pure bred bird when grown.

3. 3LilChicks707

3LilChicks707 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Okay! Thanks so much for all the info! I could always buy one breed of bantam hens & a bantam rooster of the same breed! Then I could really tell them apart! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by