Novice Rooster Fighting Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trollkiller, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    I have two roosters, one is twice the size of the other (still chicks 4 & 5 weeks old). The little rooster keeps attacking the large one but not enough to do damage and it only lasts a second or two. The large one just looks at the little one like he is stupid and does not attack back. When the little one thinks he is in danger he will hide behind the big bird.

If roosters are raised together will they end up killing each other or will one of them become Alpha and the other submit?

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

there will be an alpha roo and usually the other submits...but not all the time...

3. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:That is what I thought, good I want the big one to breed but I like the little guy's attitude.

Thank you.

4. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Its all about the space they are in, and Genetics. I have a resident rooster, "Chester", and he tolerates each years batch of young roos, until they get to that age, then he just chases them to the outskirts of the flock. They are allowed to feed, and coop, and just have to mind thier p's and Q's. The young roos all hang out together, and often roam off as a group, with one or two hens.

The only time we have a problem, is when they are locked in the coop the whole day. If I am sick, or the wind closes thier door, and I dont see, they seem to quarrel a bit more, but so far no major injuries.

There is definetly very little peace in a flock with too many roo's tho. One rooster takes the lead, the rest just pester every one. Your guys will figure it out, for the most part, but it will never be snuggles and dreams!

Good Luck!

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

not usually,, sometimes you get a roo that doesnt get the hint he isnt alpha, and will keep trying,, but if they grow up together,, they usually get along,,,,which in roo language ,,, means, they wont kill each other,, 1 will always stress him being alpha by doing the "herding" thing,, the quick peck here and there,, so i wouldnt worry to much bout the "little" ones [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have 13 roos living together with no fights, no trouble, and they actually do play together. Blue Roo is the boss and he pretty much stays with most of the ladies, the other guys have the guys club and only assualt innocent dish washing liquid bottles. Every now and then someone gets fluffy with another and they go nose to nose, dance in a circle, then it's over with no fight. They can live together, just depends on personalities I think.

7. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    The big one has taken to his role as flock protector. (big flock of three) He seems to be very alert to everything around him. When we take him to the run first he will call to the other birds so they know where he is. If we take him to the run last he completely freaks out until he can see his flock.

8. Those little roos are a riot. They are really just kids trying the patience of the big roo. They will understand that when danger comes a knocking tha the big roo is in charge. We have two tiny bantam roos, I mean these guys are small. They know who to run to when its time to hide. Some medium banyam roos are pretty aggresive. My big leghorn roo just gets his head under these and they get tossed like little turds, its pretty commical.

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:[​IMG] LOL Ms. Hen Palmolive..I will never forget that

10. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:When I first BYC I thought all you guys were nuts talking about your chickens. Now that I have some I must admit they are really funny to watch.
    You guys have infected me...[​IMG] now I am as nuts as y'all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by