Now a student missed the exam!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, May 8, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Since so many people chimed in on this you all tell me what you think I should do with this one!! I DID make it to this exam!

Professor,

This is in regrards to my absense at the final exam this morning. I could make up an excuse but honeslty to a reason even unknown to myself I thought it was tomorrow untill I double checked the website a few moments ago. I don't even know what can be done at this point but I am willing to do anything whether it mean take the exam at a differnet time or do an alternative assignment. I've had you as a teacher for the last two semester and I hope you would realize that I am not the type of student to simply skip an exam. I didnt have any finals all week except this one and I stayed instead of trying to take it on the earlier alternative date. I understand if nothing can be done with this situation but like I said i will do anything at this point. Please contact me back. My email again is ******* and my cell phone is **********.
    Thank you,

I did have her last year and she has been an average, under the radar, no problem student.........

Advice??​

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I hope she is not in an english or grammar class [​IMG] Other than that, I am a softie, so I would give her a make up, but deduct a certain percentage that you see fit.

She was honest, and I missed an appointment last week for the same reason. I looked Quickly at the calendar,--put it in my mind that it was certain day,-went with that mindset all week until I got a call saying I missed the appointment. (which was two days earlier than what I thought it was.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Since so many people chimed in on this you all tell me what you think I should do with this one!! I DID make it to this exam!

Professor,

This is in regrards to my absense at the final exam this morning. I could make up an excuse but honeslty to a reason even unknown to myself I thought it was tomorrow untill I double checked the website a few moments ago. I don't even know what can be done at this point but I am willing to do anything whether it mean take the exam at a differnet time or do an alternative assignment. I've had you as a teacher for the last two semester and I hope you would realize that I am not the type of student to simply skip an exam. I didnt have any finals all week except this one and I stayed instead of trying to take it on the earlier alternative date. I understand if nothing can be done with this situation but like I said i will do anything at this point. Please contact me back. My email again is ******* and my cell phone is **********.
    Thank you,

I did have her last year and she has been an average, under the radar, no problem student.........

Advice??​

Because she has not done this in the past I would give her a ONE time make-up exam.​

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I really appreciate that fact that she didn't make up any dead grandparents, flooded apartments or car troubles AND they're willing to accept the consequences. I've missed appts, too, for the same reason and sometimes the doctors will kindly not charge me the missed appt charge, if I ask! I'd probably give them one "get out of jail free" but I'm a softy, too.

5. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I am by no means a softie. I do believe her though and I would give her another chance as I believe she is being honest and truthfull. I would make it at a time of my choosing without regard for her schedule as it would be on my time this time. She should get a second chance.

jeremy

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I'd give her a chance, but I'd give her a different exam than the others had. And I'd grade it a bit harder.
    I have my moments, too, and I like to believe people.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'd give her a chance to retake, but I'd do what our school does, doc a letter grade since it's her responsibility to keep scheduled. This is her first time so give her a chance [​IMG]

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I forget dates all the time, even if Ive seen it on the calendar.

She sounds sincere!

9. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    ok, I'm a student, returning to school for a second degree.

I discovered, two hours later, that the university gives finals at different times than the classes...in time slots. I had never encountered that before.

I totally missed an exam and was devestated. I called and emailed the intructor and explained that it was completely my fault, I didn't know about the time slots and assumed that the exam was on the regular date/time. She allowed me to take the exam, a few hours late, and I will never forget her...

Just had to say [​IMG]

Sometimes, we really don't lie...or sometimes we lie because the truth sounds ridiculous and we don't think you'll believe us anyway...

Maybe she'll never forget *you* if give her a second chance?

10. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I agree--give her a second chance! I am a graduate student and I really try to do my best by all of my classes and all of my professors. My pyschology of religion final was this past Thursday. I made it to all but one of my classes during the term, I participated in every class, and I studied very hard for my exam. Wednesday night, I went out to my car, intending to drive it to the store for some milk. My front driver's side tire was slashed. I live in a tiny town with no 24-hour wreckers. Even if there had been one available, I only had about 23 dollars on me and no way to get to the bank to take out money--my bank is across town and I have to drive there! There was simply no way that I was going to get my tire repaired in time for the final exam.

I called up my professor and I was in tears. I asked him if I could take a B in the class (this professor always offers for the students taking a B in lieu of taking the exam) or if I could take a make up exam. We talked it over for a little bit and we settled on my doing a little extra work in lieu of the exam in exchange for the A I would have gotten if I'd passed the exam (I was able to show knowledge of the topic). Then he jokingly said that I was bound to be in one of his classes in another term, so he'd be sure to go a bit harder on me the next time around! It was a big load off my mind, let me tell you!

Also, back when I was doing my undergrad, I fell and broke my back the day of the exam (interestingly, it was also a religion class!). The professor in that class allowed the extra credit work I had done for him to stand as my final exam.

Believe me, I'll never forget either of those gentlemen; both were strict professors with high standards, but they also excelled in humanity and kindness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by