now avian pox- ugh! What else?!?!

Stephkyles

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
After researching- it seems my girls have avian pox. Pic below in comments. This is my first flock and I've been thru the ringer with them- we've had cocci issues, sinus infections, predator issues, and now this, not too mention other "unknown causes" of death of other chicks. I just feel defeated. I feel like I've given them every opportunity to live the healthiest lives possible... Is this normal or am I doing something wrong??

My flock has also gotten fowl pox. It started about two weeks ago. The first to show signs was Nannette. Nannette's head was all covered in blood this morning. I carried her in and cleaned her up the best one can clean up a chicken that is living. I put Vetricin on all her spots. I think the pox got irritated. The base of her comb is really bad. It looks like a gash. I isolated her so the others will not peck at her bloody spots. Is there more that can be done? Is there something that can prevent the bleeding from happening to the others?

I haven't done anything to them but their sores aren't that bad.... They now have sores on their legs- is that something you experienced?

I haven't done anything to them but their sores aren't that bad.... They now have sores on their legs- is that something you experienced?
I had one chicken and one pigeon with it on the legs, both recovered. What I read was they can get the sores on any exposed skin, so keep an eye on their vents, too.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom