Now Bridge is acting like she can’t poop

Maybe my daughter, but she has narcolepsy and went straight to bed. I gave Bridge a few cc of pedialyte via syringe. She didn’t like the handling, but swallowed it. She also readily ate a raw egg. (Kiki, I know... they haven’t been getting treats at all since Margo’s necropsy report.) I’m keeping watch. There are pans of water with or without electrolytes all over the yard. Bridge is acting semi normal, but it’s warm again today. I’ll be with them all day.

I'm stumped. I have doubts Bridge is constipated, but if you believe she could be, I would suggest trying a teaspoon or two of coconut oil first to see what happens. I don't see any dangerous downside to doing that.

As for tube feeding, do you know how long her appetite has been off? Has any green bile appeared in her poop in the last 24 hours? She may not be to the point of tube feeding just yet.

Have you tried to tempt her with a boiled egg or tofu? Is she molting by some chance? Appetite can be affected during molt and a chicken can lose significant weight. I am having to feed one of my hens special foods to get her to eat. She wastes away to half her normal body weight when she molts and she becomes lethargic and withdrawn. I absolutely don't know how she manages to survive her molt each year.

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting tubing food, I was suggesting tubing fluids. If she is constipated that is what she needs, IMO.
Yes, I got that. I spritzed her back end to get a better look without soaking and she has lots of bald area. She’s also a bit pink bloated looking, but she has always been a big heavy girl from the beginning. She is readily drinking egg mixed with pedialyte, so I will hold off on tubing for now (she wants the egg bad enough to drink all the pedialyte to get to it, but won’t drink pedialyte on it’s own. A couple other girls are going nuts for it, too, which I figure isn’t a terrible thing right now in the heat.)

Here’s her back end. She’s preening and actually acting more normal. She may be perking up, but she’s messy across her fluff.

I’m prepared to tube, if needed (still scared). I have Lily of the Valley Aloe Detox in case we think her big abdomen is cutting off her intestines. I have coconut oil and could cut out some little chunks on ice to make her eat. And you already know I have the stool softener (plus a bunch of meds, but can’t tell if anything is indicated here and would prefer not to throw meds at her just for the sake of it.) Her flock is around her and she’s foraging as I write this.

I’m torn because you all know I tend to over worry and don’t want to stress Bridge out unnecessarily. But with Bagheera’s death this week, I’m a bit jumpy and am being extra cautious.

DDDBFB03-FCFD-4635-B73C-050CC8A2C683.jpeg

Yes, I got that. I spritzed her back end to get a better look without soaking and she has lots of bald area. She’s also a bit pink bloated looking, but she has always been a big heavy girl from the beginning. She is readily drinking egg mixed with pedialyte, so I will hold off on tubing for now (she wants the egg bad enough to drink all the pedialyte to get to it, but won’t drink pedialyte on it’s own. A couple other girls are going nuts for it, too, which I figure isn’t a terrible thing right now in the heat.)

Here’s her back end. She’s preening and actually acting more normal. She may be perking up, but she’s messy across her fluff.

I’m prepared to tube, if needed (still scared). I have Lily of the Valley Aloe Detox in case we think her big abdomen is cutting off her intestines. I have coconut oil and could cut out some little chunks on ice to make her eat. And you already know I have the stool softener (plus a bunch of meds, but can’t tell if anything is indicated here and would prefer not to throw meds at her just for the sake of it.) Her flock is around her and she’s foraging as I write this.

I’m torn because you all know I tend to over worry and don’t want to stress Bridge out unnecessarily. But with Bagheera’s death this week, I’m a bit jumpy and am being extra cautious.

View attachment 1907878
I vote to leave her be and just watch for today. ;)

Back
Top Bottom