now egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by charlielynnsingletary, Apr 27, 2009.

1. charlielynnsingletary

charlielynnsingletary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    i've only had my chickens for a few days now and i've only got one a day maybe two and that's it. why aren't they laying could it be because they nervous? my husband said i was crazy for thinking that.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Assuming they are old enough to lay, it could take them a week or more to settle in and be comfortable in the new surroundings.
    Welcome to BYC!

3. charlielynnsingletary

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    thank you i knew i wasn't crazy. they were laying before we got them.
    thanks again.[​IMG]

4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I don't know. What breed and age are they? I got a couple of Cuckoo Maran hens, 10 months old, and they each laid an egg a day starting the first day we got them. I sold them though cause they ate too dang much. (they were eating a full 3 lb scoop of grain a day!) I got lots of eggs from them though and have a batch in the bator now due to hatch in a day or two!

[​IMG]

Anyway, hope your girls start laying good for you soon, I'm sure they will!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I'm lost here- you got rid of the them, because they ate too much- and yet you are hatching MORE of them? [​IMG]

And to the OP, yes, they just need to settle in. And then you'll have lots of pretty eggs!

6. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    alot of hens dont even lay 'every' day.. some only lay once every couple or few days... And especially give them a little more time when its a new enviroment! It usually takes my girls about 2 weeks to feel at home enough to lay steady

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It also depends on the individual hens personality. I gave two away to a friend (along with a roo) and they laid the very next day and haven't stopped since.
    Sometimes they will lay an egg within a day of being moved - that egg was already on its way down the egg chute when they were moved and then not lay again until they settle in.
    You can't expect every breed to lay daily. It doesn't work like that.

8. charlielynnsingletary

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    :cdthanks everyone i finally found out what kind of hens i have. i have 4 leghorns and 1 brahma. thanks to everyone who has answered my questions. and yes they were right this site is addictive.

9. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    well, ill warn you if you have white leghorns they are egg laying machines! You'll be happy im sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by