Now explain how this happens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Jun 17, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    For two days now I go collect eggs & find one completely white egg. I see this white egg sitting there. I do have a fake white egg but its been marked & its been around for awhile. My chickens lay brown eggs I have 9 RIR"S & 1 Dominique . I've always gotten brown eggs sometimes the eggs are somewhat pinkish but never solid white. It has to be from my Dominique pullet I would think. But she always has layed light brown eggs. I pick the white egg up & put it back down because my chickens don't lay store white eggs. Did she run out of dye are what's up with white eggs. I want brown eggs .

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I'm not sure but my chooks eggs change colour sometime.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Mine do to but solid white it looks like a store bought egg not farm fresh. I don't wanna start dyeing my eggs brown. My customers want brown eggs.

4. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Any chance that someone is pulling your leg? I'm sure that it could happen spontaneously but for some reason, it has the ring of a prank to me [​IMG]. Just a thought, hope you get to the bottom of it.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Eggs from my older hens are lighter than they used to be. No white ones yet but one of the blue ones is getting close.

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I thought the same thing but I'm always at the farm & one time the egg was still hot.

7. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    I will be interested to here a final ruling here as that is quite bizzare!

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's a dozen & half & the white one.[​IMG]

9. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    The egg color can differ at different times during their laying cycle. I find that my brown layers lighten up quite a bit toward the end of theirs, but I haven't seen actual white. [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yes , me too!! You can see there's some in the carton like that. I've just never seen mine lay white eggs. I've gotten two in a row so today will make three. will find out. It's no biggy just freaks me out while collecting eggs. I pick it up & think it's the fake egg. Weird!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by