1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now I am confused...should the coop be dark or light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maggiegigs, Sep 13, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    My brother in law who is a veterinarian and also a farm owner told me that chickens need allot of light for egg production.
    However, everything I have read states that the chicken likes dark nesting areas to lay. My coop is small so how do I manage this? The girls LOVE THEIR COOP but perhaps their nests need to be a be ....more private?[​IMG]
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    What they mean by alot of light is Length of daylight, not necessarily wattage in the coop.

They lay best when they are exposed to 12 hrs give or take of "daylight". This can be artifically simulated with a lightbulb.

So as fall & winter approach, its starting to get dark earlier & earlier. You may consider leaving the light on in the coop beyond 6 or 7pm or starting earlier in the a.m. - you can use a timer for this if you like.

P.S- Keep the nest boxes dark, it will be fine...

Hope that helps.
    Blessings,
    Laura

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I painted the inside of the nest box a dark green and have it on the same wall as the window so the light isn't shining into it. You could also put a little curtain on it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by