Now I know..Genders Blue and Black Orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckfan, Aug 5, 2011.

1. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Purchased 6 blue and Black Orp chicks several weeks ago. Sitting on pens and needles waiting to see how many Hens that I would have. Worried that I would need replacements I went on to purchase twp more Orps. They did look different form the ones I had at home. BUT I know how hard it is to sex these birds. They seem to change daily. The first group of birds are 16 weeks Not much comb The replacements are 10 weeks and both have much larger combs and waddles that are bright red. Both sets came from the same Blue Roo and Blue hens. Well to confirm my thoughts, the new birds were crowing this morning. Soooo I am pretty sure that I have six hens Yay! Now I will have a Blue and a Black Orpington Cockerel for sale. So glad I can keep the original six since they are quite tame and respond to my calls. Getting those replacement birds gave me the answer I was seeking.[​IMG]

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    How lovely, i know how frustrating it can be having to many roo's and worrying a lot about ending up with too many roo's [​IMG] i was recently taught a good trick with my orps, on birds that age, if you pull out the wing and the tips are flat edged its a pullet, if they have little pointy bits on them, they are roo's. This has worked numerous times for me, can't believe i didn't know it before!!

3. phoenix2011

phoenix2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Salem
    Flat edges on the hens wings, huh? I'll have to check my little guys - I am "sorta" certain which ones are which - mine are about 4 months old, but it is hard to tell when they are young!

4. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Wings huh? I take a peek, but pretty sure now. They should be old enough to just be able to tell by sight. It has not been as esy as I thought. So glad that I'm almost positive hehehe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by