Now I know they are Muscovy. What color are they??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I posted this in Breed or gender area first but was wisely advised that I would find better answers here on the duck forum.
    I got these as last spring at an auction. The tag said "Muscovy Ducklings" They are a weird color I thought and looking at pictures on feathersite I thought they looked alot like Mule ducks and someone had maybe just wanted to unload some mule ducks. Dissapointing but they have such good personalities we planned to keep them anyway. Lately I am thinking they might be Muscovys They are Huge! Bigger then any of our Muscovys have been, and the male has huge barnacals on his face, They like to be up high, and only hang out with my Muscovy hen, so tell me do I have Muscovy's or Mule ducks???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Oh yeah. Muscovy for sure. Pretty too. The "barnacles" are carunkles. I want to say you have 2 drakes there. I can't get a look at the one's face or feet in these pics to be able to tell for sure. But the drakes are usually much bigger than the hens.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They sure do look like pure Muscovies to me.... I dont know about others - but I have never seen a mule that actually had any carnucling on the face.

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    I give wise advice? [​IMG]

Pretty birdies once again!

5. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Both pure muscovies. Color is hard to tell with these pics. They look chocolate to me, but then again some pictures give them a blue cast, in which case they may be blue fawns. Or it could be the lighting conditions/camera causing them to look that way. [​IMG] It can be very hard to photograph and get the color to show up accurately.

The one with less caruncling is a hen, the one with lots of caruncling is a drake. In the last picture, the one on the right is a drake, the one on the left is the female. [​IMG]

6. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Yeah the big one is the drake the smaller one is the duck. I have known that since they where tiny babies. The drake's name is Big boy and the girl is Little Miss. They are a grey blue color, with chocolate on there chests, I have had Chocolate and even Blue Rippled Chocolate Muscovy's and they don't look anything like those.
    I am so glad they are Muscovy's, Thanks everyone. I will post more pictures see if anyone can tell what color they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I have some better pictures of them, but can't seem to find them right now.
    let me know what color you think they might be. Just because it would be nice to know.

Thanks again

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Muscovies can be pretty sun-bleached this time of year .
    Their currant color may not be accurate unless they have new growth feathers.
    Your Muscovies look like blues to me but its hard to tell from your pics.

Hope this helps.

Pic # 1 is a blue fawn (AKA lilac) duck
    shown with some tan sun-bleached back and wing feathers.
    (chocolate x blue breeding)
    [​IMG]

Pic #2 is a blue (it still has some juvenile breast feathers)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  8. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I'd say they're Blue Fawns.

9. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:Top pic is Blue Fawn (duck).

The drake is either Blue or Blue Fawn(still can't see enough of him).

10. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    They both look just like the second picture that Cottage Rose posted, looked exactly like that, now they have less of the chocolate on there chest and more Carunkles. They are darker then the blue fawn.
    I hope they are blue! our other Muscovy, the only one of three we started with, is blue pied. She has a lot of white on her, i bet they could have some cute ducklings next year. Of course the last few days, Big Boy has wanted nothing to do with Little Miss and Wendy(the muscovys) and is trying to get in with the other ducks, 2 Anacona drakes, 1 Rouen drake, 1 Rouen duck and 1 Anacona duck.

Thanks again everyone!
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by