Now I know what a "flock guard" is! :PICS:

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jun 21, 2009.

1. I'm so proud of my Golden! We've been putting her out with the chicks when they spend time in their run (she usually guards them from outside the run but we bring her in with them if we're supervising) and she seems to understand that it's her job to watch over them.

She's charged and run off two of our cats when they approached the area. I think she thinks the chicks are hers. [​IMG] And she's such a good sport - she didn't even take offense when her tail got pecked!

Here she is doing a head count:

[​IMG]

And getting her tail pecked by my brave Light Brahma:

[​IMG]

This is the cat she chased out of the yard after he climbed to the top of the run to see if we'd left a kitty door in it:

[​IMG]

2. goldenluver

goldenluver Songster

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    :loveshe is beautiful, I have two goldens as well and they are both greate with the girls. I would trust them 100% with thw chickens and chicks.

3. I'm especially happy about it as I just met someone the other day who told me her two goldens killed one of their chickens. [​IMG] Apparently they thought it was a chew toy.

We didn't really have to say much to her at all - just said "no" when we first introduced her to them and she started to chase them. Since then, she somehow understands they're "special" to us.

I [​IMG] Goldens!

4. goldenluver

goldenluver Songster

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    I showed mine the babies as soon as I brought them home, days old. Also kept the brooder in family room for 8 weeks while the coop was being built. every time they got loud my oldest golden (jewel) would run and look in the broode to make sure everything was alright. Sometimes I would put a baby on their bellies, the chicks would snuggle in the thick fur.
    I love my goldens, hense my name here. [​IMG]:love:love

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Awww that is so sweet! That is a good dog!! Beautiful pictures!![​IMG]

6. every time they got loud my oldest golden (jewel) would run and look in the broode to make sure everything was alright. Sometimes I would put a baby on their bellies, the chicks would snuggle in the thick fur.

Wow! That is amazing! So sweet! And so nice to hear amongst all the "dog killed chickens" stories we see.​

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    That deserves a jerky treat.

8. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    That's so sweet. Animals deserve so much more credit than they usually get!!

9. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    What a nice lookin girl and chicks. I also have a golden who I use for hunting but he knows the chickens are his and helps the pyrs gaurd them lol goober dogs

10. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That is a great story to hear! I'm so glad your golden is watching out for your babies!

Shelly

P.S.-if you need to rehome that awful furry monster trying to climb into the chicken run...CALL ME!!! He is gorgeous! LOL! I've got a siamese, who miraculously, wanders around with the chickens. I don't trust him, but he is terrified of the geese and the guineas, and they stay with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: