Now I know what a "flock guard" is! :PICS:

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
I'm so proud of my Golden! We've been putting her out with the chicks when they spend time in their run (she usually guards them from outside the run but we bring her in with them if we're supervising) and she seems to understand that it's her job to watch over them.

She's charged and run off two of our cats when they approached the area. I think she thinks the chicks are hers.
And she's such a good sport - she didn't even take offense when her tail got pecked!

Here she is doing a head count:

And getting her tail pecked by my brave Light Brahma:

This is the cat she chased out of the yard after he climbed to the top of the run to see if we'd left a kitty door in it:

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
I'm especially happy about it as I just met someone the other day who told me her two goldens killed one of their chickens.
Apparently they thought it was a chew toy.

We didn't really have to say much to her at all - just said "no" when we first introduced her to them and she started to chase them. Since then, she somehow understands they're "special" to us.

I
Goldens!

goldenluver

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Springfield, Oregon
I showed mine the babies as soon as I brought them home, days old. Also kept the brooder in family room for 8 weeks while the coop was being built. every time they got loud my oldest golden (jewel) would run and look in the broode to make sure everything was alright. Sometimes I would put a baby on their bellies, the chicks would snuggle in the thick fur.
I love my goldens, hense my name here.
:love:love

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
every time they got loud my oldest golden (jewel) would run and look in the broode to make sure everything was alright. Sometimes I would put a baby on their bellies, the chicks would snuggle in the thick fur.

Wow! That is amazing! So sweet! And so nice to hear amongst all the "dog killed chickens" stories we see.​

AkTomboy

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
DJ, Alaska
What a nice lookin girl and chicks. I also have a golden who I use for hunting but he knows the chickens are his and helps the pyrs gaurd them lol goober dogs

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
That is a great story to hear! I'm so glad your golden is watching out for your babies!

Shelly

P.S.-if you need to rehome that awful furry monster trying to climb into the chicken run...CALL ME!!! He is gorgeous! LOL! I've got a siamese, who miraculously, wanders around with the chickens. I don't trust him, but he is terrified of the geese and the guineas, and they stay with the flock.

Top Bottom