Now I know why you call them fuzzy butts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by subhanalah, Feb 15, 2014.

1. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Just picked these three up today. Pretty sure the black one is a roo because he snuggles with my hand when I put it in the brooder. (Isn't that how it goes? Your favorite one is a roo!?)

and now, without further ado...
    FUZZY BUTTS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the not-so-great pictures. I'll try to do better next time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    congrats [​IMG]

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Don't pass judgment on the black one quite yet! I've had plenty of little pullet chicks that loved to snuggle as well!

4. subhanalah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Can anyone guess the breeds/mixes I have here? What about gender hahaha. I realize at this point it's a lot like flipping a coin.
    I have other pictures but can't figure out how to crop with my phone and don't want to post a pic of a close up of my face! They are all snuggled into my neck and I HAD to have my husband take a picture for the sake of posterity. Lol.

ETA: pardon the poop, I'm cleaning out the brooder right now. These pictures I just took. Are there certain things I should be trying to get in the picture to help with identification? Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Are any of them bearded?

6. subhanalah

I'm not sure what a bearded chick looks like. The girl who I bought them from I think said the darker striped one has a beard. I'm not sure if this matters but both of the striped ones had a darker spot on their head than the rest of their stripe.
    The black one looks to have a single comb, but it's much smaller than the comb on the other hatchling that had a single comb as well. The other two, I don't really see a comb to speak of. They all have the same father (allegedly an ameraucana).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  7. subhanalah

Do these pictures help at all? They are as hard as heck to get pictures and I'm afraid the flash may give them epilepsy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] this is the one she said had something near his ears/face...she didn't say beard, but I assumed that's what she meant. not sure if this is a bearded chick or not? Can you tell from the picture?
    [​IMG]this shows the comb
    The darker striped one's name is Shy guy (from Super Mario Bros. 2 because when she looks straight at you, that's what she looks like lol)
    the lighter one is Lemon (short for Liz Lemon) and we haven't settled on the black one's name...thinking maybe Bonita.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh, they are gonna grow up so fast!

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    where did you get them? the breeder didnt know what kind or if they are mixed? i dont see a beard. a little tuft of fuzz would be there if it was going to have sideburns

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i missed your post about daddy roo. americanas have a tuft at the ears. ear muffs some call them .being mixed chicks it will be hard to say what they are mixed with. the ear muffs may come in just a bit smaller. but probably colored eggs are in your forecast !! if i had to guess and thats a big if, i would say they are mixed with game hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by