Now I understand - silkies really are evil!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A week ago I was all concerned that my little blue silkie "Jethro" was getting knocked out of the brooder each day. Poor little dear, he must be getting knocked out because there's no way an itty bitty 4 week old silkie could be getting out by himself. Then I realized that a.) it's kinda hard to be knocked UP the 18" sides of the brooder and down the other side and b.) even if it were possible, there's no way it could happen every single day. [​IMG]
    So little Jethro now runs with the big dogs (er, chicks) that have taken over the screened porch. Problem is, *insert sarcastic tone here* poor, POOR little Jethro can't possibly have what it takes to jump back in the brooder at the end of the day. Thus, we spend 30 minutes minimum chasing his little....fluffy butt (silkies are evil and fast!) around the porch to put him back in the brooder at night.
    Last night I decided to keep it simple. I'd wait until full dark and then locate Jethro, snatch him up and put him back in the brooder. Only when I went out to do so, I found him back in the brooder. [​IMG] Okay, okay I'm getting old. I either put him back in already and forgot about it in the end of the day chaos or DH did it and forgot to mention it to me.
    Tonight I caught myself a little rat, er silkie. I step out the front door and what do I spy but Jethro in action. He jumped up on a little block of wood next to the brooder, from there to horizontal bar on the motorcycle jack, from there to the upright on the jack, from there to the seat of a porch chair, from there to the side rail of the brooder!
    Why is this little twerp torturing me?!?! I've tried to live a moral life! Why must he torture me with his evil silkie ways???? [​IMG]

I'm betting his next trick will be around the age of maturity, when Jethro lays an egg. [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Sounds like Jethro(love the name) is going to keep you BUSY!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm ignoring "him" until he gets to the cute and cuddly stage.

So far, Jethro and Ellie Mae (the red silkie) are not all that friendly. The meaties are the friendly ones.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    My sister raises Silkies and her neighbor was out mowing his pasture today-my sister said he got off of his tractor walked to the fence and said, "I had to come see if those fuzzy birds were really chickens".
    Gotta love those Silkies!
    I LOVE the way you are using reverse psychology on the not so friendly Ellie Mae and Jethro-sounds like something I would do. [​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:What she said! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree!!

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Ahahah! Hilarious.... Little Fluffy Butt :p Hehe

9. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I had the same problem when I couldn't figure out how my TWO WEEK OLD chick was getting back into the nest box with mom 3 feet off the ground. I caught it on video.

Sneaky little bird...

/edited for clarity

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I knew those evil little gremlins would have you buffaloed soon. You're sunk now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by